You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

AC Ammeter questions

Gang,

My coach has four gauges above the driver. Two for the AC volts (leg 1 and leg 2) and two for current draw on each AC leg.

One of my ammeters has stopped reading anything. Newell says that these meters are no longer available.

So...I have a couple of questions:

1) How are these ammeters wired? Has anyone gone through the wiring? I assume that there is some sort of transformer near the breaker panel, but I have not found it.

2) Do these meters go bad? If so, does anyone have a source?

Cheers,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Are yours analog or digital gauges?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Mine are analog

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Are you sure you pulling anything on that leg? A lot of times one of mine doesn't read anything. Is everything working?

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Assuming you actually have current flow in that line here is what I remember about that system.
My meters got replaced with video equipment in the big TV, little headlights, upgrade before I became the owner. I did however find the source for those signals when doing something at the 120VAC distribution panel. You should find, as you suspected, two AC current transformers and wires for the voltmeters. Just a caution, if you decided to do anything with the current transformers, be sure the power is off to the coach and the generator won't start. Current transformers do not like to have their low resistance secondary opened with current flowing through the donut. You might experience a big spark and you want to avoid that. I disconnected the voltage wires because I did not see a fuse on the wiring. Anytime a very small wire leaves a source that has a big short circuit fault rating ( like the mains on a distribution panel ) the little wires needs to be fused. That is because if one of them goes to ground someday, you want the fuse to clear, not the wire to become the fuse and as it melts to possibly start a fire. Hopefully you will see the rating on the CT and be able to purchase a matching meter if you decided it's the meter not the CT. Even if you have to purchase both CT and meter it is no big deal. I could not get along without good amps and volts information on both legs. I happen to get mine through the digital display of my Progressive Industries Energy Management System. Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Bill, Russ is spot on with his caution statements, be careful.

I have not found any secondary ratings on Newell's CTs nor have i measured the secondary. They are not common to the electrical industry such as GE, Crompton, or Hoyt for example so I suspect they are wound to Newell's spec. I asked their electrical guy once and he had no clue.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567