You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

What are these and what do they do??

I said on a previous post that while Clarke and I had the center console out the other day to put in a new electric heater we discovered a hidden cord that appears to plug into something (last three pics). There are many wires bundled and wrapped on it with two other wires to the outside. The switch you see on top says "lock" so you are able to connect to something and lock it in place. Anyone know what this is and what it does??

Now for round two. The first pic is a switch mounted on the side of the console facing the driver. The switch has a flat side that a knob of some sort would sit on and turn. Obviously the knob is gone, but here again Clarke and I could not figure out what it is for??

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

On the round switch. Look for this color wires in the fuse area. That may give you a clue if you find the fuse or breaker associated with the wire colors, then cross ref to the fuse legend.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

On our '82 there was a Motorola Stereo in the Console. Since it didn't work anymore I simply removed it and all of the wiring.
All of our Coaches are Custom so you will need to follow those cables and wires to get a better idea.

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

I wondered if it was the CB radio but it just has way too many wires in that plug in.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

The heavy cable almost looks like the plug & cable for a REALLY old school RCC radio telephone. The ones we used to have had a control head, much like an old telephone mounted up front. The main box was mounted under the back seat in most of pick ups or in the trunk for cars.

That would seem to make sense that it was part of something like that not being used any longer due to a technology change.This age of coach would not have a diagnostic cable or cable for monitoring mechanical performance would it?

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

todd, it would not have a diagnostic cable plug for the drivetrain.

it is a harness for something that plugged in. stereo, electric brake controller, toad transmission pump controller, etc

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Combination record player and 8 track is my guess.

Just messing with ya. I found a treasure trove of obsolete technology in my console too. It was like an archeological dig site.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I have a working 8-track in my Newell!! The factory 8-track slots are full of tapes!! Nothing like cruising down the road with Cash or Waylon playing, how about Freddy Fender? Roy Orbison? Now thats Retro!! LOL

Love old schoolHeart
1976 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd
1977 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd

In the 70's I saw Wayland and Willy in a remote Texas (Sh*t Kickin') Bar and yes 8 Tracks were the newest thing! Heck I remember a 45 in the Glove Box! always skipped when going over R/R Tracks, HA! how funny now.
PS we have Cassette Racks in our '82.

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch