You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

A new issue.

I took the coach out of storage about two weeks ago. This week I have had it parked in a campground that Clark is staying at for the week. The weather didn't exactly cooperate with us but we did manage to get a couple projects done. Yesterday when I went out there are intention was to take the coach to have two new batteries installed and then do some other repairs. However after we took the coach off level and started it and never came up to ride height. We put it on the leveling system and brought it manually up. After turning off the leveling switch the driver side sunk to the ground. The passenger-side did stay aired up. We did this several more times the driver-side kept collapsing. So we left it on air level and air it up and drove it over to the garage that usually does repairs on it for me.

When we first got the coach two years ago we redo all of the air valves in the back engine compartment. There is a forward babe by the front tire on the passenger side that has another six pack of air valves that are actually different looking visual see in the pics that I will post. I need to figure out what type of these are and buy new ones to replace them since they're obviously original I'm probably going to go bad eventually. Wondering though if anybody has any ideas of the symptoms Of this issue and what might've caused it. Still not exactly clear in my head how the solenoids work with the air leveling valves and who commands who to do what etc.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Todd it sounds like you have some sticky valves probably from sitting, heres an interesting thread from WOG about Marvel mystery oil I found interesting and maybe worth a try http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/fo...hp?t=11655

Love old schoolHeart
1976 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd
1977 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd

Todd,
That appears to be a HWH manifold with their valves & solenoids. Looks like the labels are still readable.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Last year I sprayed soapy water around them and found no leaks. So you are saying these Solenoids may be sticking? This is all so new to me. I did a search of the web last night trying to find a schematic diagram of an air system so I could better understand how the leveling system works from compressor to tanks to the bags. I honestly don't have a clear idea of what controls what. Anyone have a suggestion or could you post a step by step if you have time. Thanks.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

The rear 6 pack controls the rear of the coach, the front 6 pack, that you found, controls the front air bags. A leak or stuck valve in either location can create the issue you are describing. There was a lengthy discussion on this subject a couple of years ago. See Air System Schematics. After taking a look at that, ask away. Of course the references to the tag axle are not relevant to your situation making the troubleshooting a little easier.

Don't forget to look at the ride height valves also. I found cracks in two of the three on my coach so far, so I have replaced all three. There is a ride height valve by each rear inside wheel and one in the front in the center of the coach right to left and back behind the front axle.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Michael thank you. I know last year my mechanic replaced one of my rear ride Height valves (passenger side) that he said was bad. He said that he may need to eventually replace the others. I was telling Clarke that I really like the guys that work on my coach because unlike a call dealer anymore who wants to replace everything these guys only replace things that are obviously broke. In cases like this I have to tell them "hey while it's on the lift lets just be proactive and replace all of them". Feel like I need to do this at times since some parts are still original and now almost 30 years old.

I will read the post then ask questions.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

So when we are talking about sticky valves in this situation are we talking about the ride height valves and not the Solenoids

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

Is there one air tank for each six pack of Solenoids? Also why is my rear manifold of Solenoids only be 5 instead of 6??? Is only one used for ride height?

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

Both the ride height and the solenoid valves can stick but sticking is typically associated with the manifold solenoids. If a down valve sticks, it will exhaust air constantly. Typically, a hide height valve will develop a crack in the housing and leak copious amounts of air, although it may only leak in one position. Not sure why the rear would only have 5 solenoids. All of the ones I have seen had 6, a right up (fill), a right down (exhaust), a left up (fill), a left down (exhaust), and two travel valves that go to the individual height control valves on the rear (the height control actually controls up and down) and on the front both valves feed the single front height control valve. Air from the supply tank to, at least on 1990's models, frame mounted square ping tanks and those feed the manifolds and feed the 3 height control valves to add air to them in travel mode. Sorry, not sure how the tanks are arranged on the Classics. The exhaust when you lower a wheel position is from the height control valve when in travel mode and from the manifold if it is in level mode.

Generally, when you have a sticking solenoid, you will hear air exhausting from the manifold when it shouldn't be. Since you indicate that you can air it up in level mode but when you switch to travel mode the drivers side drops, I would check out the left rear ride height valve first as the suspected culprit.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I was thinking exactly what Michael just said.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed