You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Questions regarding 93 coach dash heating system

I'm about to charge mindlessly into the heating and defroster system in the front of my 93 coach and I have a couple question.

My heater barely keeps up when outdoor temps are in the high 40's. Assuming other similar coaches have similar heater systems, has anyone traveled in colder temps and survived? I'm trying to assess if the system is operating correctly but is inadequately sized or if it is just not functioning properly.

Question 2; where is the modulating valve that controls the flow rate of coolant to the heater core? It is operated by wire from the lever on the dash panel.

Any insight is gratefully accepted.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

On my '93 the heater core and blowers are just behind the passenger side headlight. The Gen. blower and 120V air compressor are in the storage compartment just in front of the passenger side tire. removing the "wall" on the front side of that compartment provides access.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Thanks. How has your heat supply been when traveling in cold weather. How cold does it have to be before you start getting cold?

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

It has never worked . When I opened it up I found that ALL of the wires to the 3 or 4 blowers for the heater had been cut. (The coach had been vandalized prior to my purchase..Some things I have found make me wonder if an owner did it to collect insurance $$$.)I have been restoring other systems first since we only travel in temperate conditions. Since my coach is all electric I am considering abandoning the engine coolant heat and using electric for the dash heat.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

My dash heater works much better after Tom discovered that the fans were wired incorrectly causing the fans to turn backwards. Prior to that, I resorted to running an electric portable heater near the front seats and running the generator to keep my legs from getting cold when traveling with the outside temperature in the 30's or below. There is now warm air that comes out the vents but the air flow is likely still not adequate to keep up with the heat loss through the front cap when driving in near freezing conditions.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com