You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Short in light circuit

After I extended the slides I had no inside lights on the front slide. It was a blown 20amp fuse. I replaced it and all the lights worked. However that night the fuse was blown again. I didn't use the lights during the day other than to check that they were working.
So I must have a short somewhere. Since it happened after the slide was extended I'm thinking it must be a pinched wire that feeds the slide.
Any idea where to start looking?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

behind the valence (which you and i took off in alberta), there is a bundle of wires that go in and out when the slide is extended retracted. that is where i would look. another question is about the lights. are they ones you put led's in? it is slightly possible one of those or the socket is shorting, but not likely

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Mine doesn't have that bundle behind the top valence. I think yours was for the rope lights.
Interesting about the led fixtures. Some of them when I inserted the leds the clips popped up and did short against the reflector, but these were on different lights. I'll check that out today or tomorrow. Otherwise I'll dig around under the slide. I did hit some VERY BUMPY roads driving back.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

on mine, that buncle was on a plastic chain that had ALL the wiring for the slide. coax, lights, outlets, quite a thick bundle

tom

I remember that bundle on yours. It looked like a big bicycle chain. Mine doesn't have that chain.
Thinking about it the fuse blew when all the lights were off. So the problem should be between the fuse and the light switches and not the light fixtures.
I'll call Newell tomorrow and see where the wires run.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

I called Newell and they said there is a "scissor arm" the wires pass through for the slide to extend/retract. It is located in the roof of the passenger side basement compartment behind the front wheel. Actually it is just forward of that compartment and accessed by pulling out the 1" foam board in the top of the compartment. Fortunately Newell has some spare wires in that bundle, presumably for electric blinds. My plan is to use one of the spare wires to replace the bad wire. But wait the plot thickens! A couple days ago we had tremendous winds and torrential rainfalls. Over 12" in a 24 hour period. One of the local cemeteries actually had coffins floating up out of the ground!
http://wgno.com/2014/05/29/massive-flood...z339uKKhxb
So I pulled in the slides. Today after I extended the slides I checked all of the overhead light fixtures for shorts and they are ok. Out of curiosity I put in another fuse and now the lights are working. So there must be a skinned wire somewhere in that bundle. It's raining again so if it ever stops I'll get back to work on this issue.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

sounds more than creepy. any coffins float by you?

tom

Ghosts in the Wiring?

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

"Chasing down a hoo-doo there"? "Born on the Bayou"?

No hoo-doos, voo-doos, or roug-a-rous!
All done. The scissor arm was right where Newell said it was. To make it simple once I located the bundle of wires I cut the red wire and ohm'ed the wire at the fuse box in the closet and no mo' short! So I just used one of the spare wires to bypass the bad wire.
What took so long was the 18" + rain we've had this past week. Today was the first day that looked dry enough to attempt this project. Well yesterday was but to keep up the tradition I try not to work on Sundays.
I wonder if I could start a business selling coffin anchors?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337