You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Replacing house batteries

Hello,
We are back in Montana and I figure is perfect time to replace our well depleted house batteries. No tax and I was able to find at Battery Plus in Mssoula Decca Batteries exact replacement from our Exide brand which is no longer in production. They are not Gel type but we don't do any dry camping anymore! and at only 199 $ each it was great deal!

I have question if anyone replaced and what procedure should be used!

Should the coach need to be plugged in so all the electronics will be on?
Or , should we run generator while replacing each one ?

Never done it before so I figure I ask first!
Mine are two post with grease sleeves which easy slide out and can be replaced on new posts.

Thanks,
Les

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Les & Cheryl Korcala

Fulltime on the road hub base in Montana

Newell 2001 2 slide #582
security system 2 Rhodesians Ridgebacks (Basha & M'Kala)
Nissan Exterra 2007
Co-Motion "Robusta" tandem
Trek "madone" road bikes
Trek 5.8 MTb

I am not an expert on the newer rigs but.....maybe someone else will chime in.....
I would recommend that you turn off the Batteries and maybe even disconnect them for at least a day prior to replacing. Newell would be the best resource on this but Tom, Michael and Richard are very knowledgeable and have newer rigs.
There may be a better way to wire the Batteries although I would need more information to advise. Let's see what the other guys say 1st.

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

Les

In the past on the Prevost I have bad the batteries have been replaced on them. Take a photo before you start, draw a picture of the batteries with +,- clearly marked and how the wires go and number the batteries . Use blue tape and a marker on each wire before u disconnect and label + or - with batterie number accordingly. Turn off main battery disconnects. As you remove each wire place a rag wraped heavily and taped around each end so not to have any arching if it touches anything. Do this for each wire on each battery. Remove old place new and be very sure you have them in the same configuration as original with the +,- locations. Recoonect terminalswhen comets spay with battery post corrosion preventor turn disconnects back on. I always turned off as many items as I could when doing this.

I also would suggest calling Newell. I would not be so quick to change any wiring as it changes your support from Newell if it is not how the coach left the factory.

I am sure there are many other way to do this. Hope this helps.

Doug and Melanie Matz
2015 45 Bunk Coach 1517
Toad Ford Flex

Thank you both , this is what I had in mind , take good photo of correct cable placement and even put it on the paper before actually doing any swapping.
Great tip on turning off as much as you can in the coach!! & isolating each cable ends.
I am thinking driving right to the store and also I can use the guys knowledge, that store has about every type of batteries thee , amazing!!!
Thanks again for the help!

Les & Cheryl Korcala

Newell 2001 2 slide #582
Nissan Exterra 2007
Trek "madone" road bikes
Trek 5.8 MTb

Doug gave good counsel. Two more things, unplug and do not run the gennie. Why? If the coach is powered the inverter charger is trying to charge the batteries. Disconnecting or arcing them could fry the charger. Second, connect ALL positive terminals first. Why? If you touch the wrench from a pos term to metal it will not arc until the neg terms are connected. If you touch a wrench from a neg term once it is connected you are already grounded.

Make sure your inverter is set for the battery type you are installing. Read the manual and set it up.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard

Good work on the follow up. I missed the inverter shut off for sure. Can never have to many precautions working on this stuff. Glad you picked up on that.

Doug and Melanie Matz
2015 45 Bunk Coach 1517
Toad Ford Flex

Thank you Doug for additional tips, will do that for sure!!!

Les & Cheryl Korcala

Newell 2001 2 slide #582
Nissan Exterra 2007
Trek "madone" road bikes
Trek 5.8 MTb

If you have ceased dry camping you probably don't need as many house batteries as you currently have. My 77 coach had just one 8D house battery and we never came close to running it out since we too didn't dry camp. Calculate the needed battery reserve based upon how you intend to use the coach. If you find you miscalculated you can always start the gen and then add additional batteries when convenient. Just because you used to use more batteries doesn't mean you need to lug a bunch around you now don't need. And just because someone previously thought they needed this much battery doesn't mean you need to continue to buy and maintain that many. You choice is: how much will I actually use?

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

here is what I meant by there may be a better way;

Remember just because that is the way that it is...it doesn't mean that it is the way that it should be. Allot of things can be changed over the years by well meaning people.

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

How long are glass mats good for.

Rolleyes Ashley Pardue Coach 589