You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Trip assistance

We are going on a trip to Santa Fe and maybe over to the Grand Canyon in July, yeah I know it's hot, but it's what it is.. We have no idea other things to do or stay along the route.. We normally will stay 2 nights or so in a place.. We leave on a Friday get to Amarillo then hit Santa Fe sat morn.. From there I'm at a loss.. We want to get to the Grand Canyon. We are also considering shipping the boat out to lake Powell for a couple days there too. We will have a fun convertible and a rzr with us too so please any and all ideas and comments. We need to be back in ark the following Sunday so the last Sunday is definitely a travel day.

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

Mac, You may have to skip Lake Powell boat fun this trip. Not enough time at 2 nights per stay. Trip back to AR from Grand Canyon/Lake Powell area will be a VERY hard 2 day run. Might be easier to stay in Winslow or Flagstaff 3-4 days & day trip in car to take in sights & activities. Vermillion Cliffs north of Flagstaff & near Page (Lake Powell) has spectacular views. I would not advise taking a coach across the road through Jacobs Lake to Kanab, but it is a beautiful car drive. There are several roadside peddlers selling jewelery & blankets all across the reservation north of Flagstaff. Be sure to haggle if you are buying. Meteor Crater is cool if you like to see big holes. Petrified Forest & Painted Desert near Holbrook also come to mind but not a lot to do other than look/see there.

Any campgrounds around the grand canyon to stay at? Im thinking drive to Grand Canyon stay a couple of days then work our way home after a couple of days in each spot..

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

meteor crater is between winslow and flagstaff. there is an rv park at the crater but i have not been there to see if big rigs can fit.

i have a cabin about 40 miles from winslow high in the rim country and have been to winslow many times. not much there but in the little downtown there is a cool landmark for pictures.

the eagles song takin it easy has a few words that say "standing on the corner in winslow arizona, such a fine sight to see". the town made a corner little park memorilizing that and the fact that it is on old route 66.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

We have stayed at the OK RV Park (may not be exact name) in Holbrook a couple of times. They have 100' pull thrus so big rig is no problem. Also, I think there are some on north side of Flagstaff. But have not stayed at any of those.

I have stayed at Meteor Crater RV Park several times and the Newell fits just fine. It is Exit 233 on IH40. I don't recall any sites long enough to leave your trailer hooked up.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

This a fun place, the town is interesting and you can take the train to the canyon.
http://www.thetrain.com/lodging/rv-park/...-location/

Jimmy