You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Alternate Jake Brake Activation

This is more or less a copy of the info presented at the rally 14 to allow you to activate the jake from either the accelerator or the brake pedal with one switch.

My cruise and jake fight in rolling terrain. This wiring allows me to have the jakes anytime I apply the brakes, OR to have it activate as usual from accelerator off when I want to slow down on a long grade. In this setup the jake does not lock or latch when the brakes are applied. It releases when the brake pedal is released if the switch is in the brake pedal position. This is different from the commercially available Brakeswitch setup.

Concept
Jake will have three modes
Off
Activated by accelerator lift
Activated by brake application

How
Rewire the existing switch and use a relay triggered by the brake light

The Relay
Tap into brake light at kick panel terminal
Run that wire to drivers right side control panel
Label it please
Use simple normally open, single pole relay
Wire trigger to terminal 85
Run ground wire to terminal 86

The switch
Use double pole double throw switch
Cole Hersee part no 59024-15
Ryder truck parts HERE
You will need two terminal splitters Splitter

How to wire the switch
On the existing switch which is double pole single throw, purple with yellow stripe on one side, brown on other side
We are going to trick the purple side
Easier if you also drop the high low switch out of the console
Put purple wire on center terminal
Put brown wire on other center terminal
Install terminal adapters on two rear terminals
Match brown and purple yellow in terminate on switch
Fab short jumper wire and jump from rear to front terminal on brown wire side
Fab two jumper wires, install relay between front and rear terminal on purple side
Curse while you reinstall switches through holes in panel

Schematic
.pdf SCN_0001.pdf Size: 672.92 KB  Downloads: 48

Using it
Center position Jake OFF
Front position Jake activated as normal by accelerator off
Rear position Jake activated by brake application, Jakes release when brake is released

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

This was just one of the outstanding seminars presented at the rally! I have been very interested in having this feature installed on my coach. Richard's instructions were clear & the new set up installed almost as he stated. I say almost because he indicated installation should take about an hour. Not much gets done at my house in an hour, so it took 2 1/2 hrs. Richard's tip to drop both the original on/off switch AND the hi/low switch was spot on. I found a little used ground post on the side of the steering column that I was able to connect the ground to.

Thank you Richard for your design, documentation & presentation at the rally!!!!!Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Although the installation went well now it was time to test Richard's design. Works perfectly! Still have the jake on & off positions as before. Now I have a third position that allows the jakes to be activated only when the brakes are applied. I now put the switch in the new position when on an I/S and if an emergency stop is needed I have the jakes to help stop the coach. Great safety device. Thanks again Richard..........

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

ok, another thing for me to do

thanks richard

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Richard, I like your brake switch design better than the Brakeswitch because yours shuts the Jake off when your foot is removed from the brake peddle. With Brakeswitch, the Jake stays on after the brake peddle is once touched.

However, I have a few questions regarding your schematic SCN_0001. The old on/off switch has two brown wires and one of the brown wires is jumped to the high/low switch. On the new CH 59024-15 switch, does is matter which terminal the brown line that is jumped to the high/low switch goes to? Same question for the two purple/yellow lines going into the old on/off switch that are moved over to the new switch but has no jumper.

Can you shed some light as to the orientation of the two switches for re-installation?
Thus, which sets of colored wires face the windshield?

Thanks in advance.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

I don't know the exact purpose of the brown wires. It does. Of matter on the orientation of the purple wires. Sorry for terse reply. We are at Grand Canyon with limited servi e

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Now that I have my glasses and can read the micro font on my phone, let me try again. Leave the. Brown wires alone. The orientation of the purple wires does not matter as long as you follow the schematic. The critical part is the orientation of the switch when you reinstall. Keep the original orientation of the high low switch for obvious reasons. Now on the new on off on switch, it is a personal preference. In the middle, jakes are off. In one position you activate off of brake, and in the other you activate off of accelerator. I oriented the switch so that forward on was accelerator. A being for accelerator. And the rear position was brake. So for me A forward and B rearward. Seemed logical to me at the time.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Richard, thanks for the response. I think you are saying = place the brown wire with the jumper in the same location as on the old on/off switch, and it does not matter with the purple/yellow wires. I agree with your orientation, but with the new switch, do the brown and purple/yellow (with relay #30) wires go toward the windshield, or the wire from the relay 67 and brown jumper? My error that I did not make a note of the orientation to the windshield when I pulled the switches. I will post a schematic later today.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey

Richard, I prepared the attached schematic today showing the two old switches and the added relay and DPDT. If you have some free time I would very much appreciate your review to see if I got it correct.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey

I have a computer screen I can actually see on now. The schematic is correct, except in my case the high low switch is not DPDT, it is SPST.

The easiest way to answer your question about orientation of the switch is to look at how the switch works. When the lever is all the way in one direction it actually makes the connection between the center pole and the terminal OPPOSITE the way the lever is pointing. Confirm it with an ohm meter.

So, that means your diagram for orientation is upside down. If you want the switch to activate the accelerator function when it is forward, then the circuit without the relay should be wired in the center and rear terminals. Call me if this doesn't make sense, 817 223 2056. We are in Flagstaff for a few days now and have better connectivity.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad