You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

3 inch aluminum trim

I have noticed I have a couple of screws that are stripped that hold the 3 inch aluminum trim on my coach's exterior and I am wondering what I can use to get a new screw to grab hold in the old hole? Is there a product I can inject in the old hole and let set and then simply put a new screw in that will take care of this problem?

2003 Ford F250 SD
2001 Honda Civic
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster LT

I've used a piece of toothpick pushed in the hole. Sometimes that gives enough grab. But since it's probably going into metal if that doesn't work maybe squirt a bit of caulk into the hole.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Maybe try a piece of tie wire stuck in the hole

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

Bill, I asked the same question at Newell. They said use some steel wool in hole & around screw.

Good ideas just make sure its stainless.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

If you want it to hold, then get the next bigger size screw. Bigger diameter, not longer. Yes, the head will protrude slightly, but it you use oval head screws it will look rounded. Remember it is going into aluminum, so don't gorilla tighten it.

Take the screw with you to Lowes, and go to the speciality screw drawers. They have a wide selection of SS oval head sheet metal screws. I filled up one of those little parts sorter trays with #6 through #14 screws in a couple of lengths. Before that I always seemed to need a stainless sheet metal screw somewhere on the coach.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Great ideas...tried to find the stainless screws I was looking for at the local true value here in Marengo, Iowa and no luck. I'll try Lowes on the way north to Wisconsin.

2003 Ford F250 SD
2001 Honda Civic

us iowans rule. you are just a hop skip and a jump from my hometown of mason city, my grandparents lived in des moines and relatives in fort dodge and such.

we were back there last summer.

say hi to the green corn fields for me.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom, you can't believe the flooding down here near Cedar Rapids...lots of crops lost and the banks of the river are unidentifiable...Either too much rain or not enough...Had a tornado touch down last night about 20 miles from us...sure wish the genny was running as it was hot for several hours until the weather passed.

heading to Stevens Point Wisconsin tomorrow for a week going to tour a cheese factory, the Point Brewery, and the university of Wisconsin Stevens Point. Taking in two rookie league ballgames too. What a great trip. We toured Cornell College today in Mt. Vernon and my son really liked it. I sure hope he likes Stevens Point or Green bay as Cornell wants $50K a year...They were still using blackboards! You'd think for 50K they could afford smartboards.
More to come!
Bill

2003 Ford F250 SD
2001 Honda Civic