You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Shore power good not transferring to coach

Gurus, staying at park near Stevens Point Wi, and last night as we came back from our walk the coach had lost all shore power. Prior to losing power we were only pulling 25 amps and I tested the 50 amp before hooking up and we were getting 122 volts per leg and 243.7 for both. When I reset breakers etc. and plugged back in I get no click or lights on the transfer box and hence no power to coach. No big problem if my generator were working but now I have no power except for batteries and I am looking for solutions...Is it the transfer box and a switch ? what should I look for? I have internet but have to walk a half mile for it so I will stay online for a while to troubleshoot.

Bill

2003 Ford F250 SD
2001 Honda Civic
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster LT

Also, I have access to phone here while on internet my number is 1-239-300-6975

Bill

2003 Ford F250 SD
2001 Honda Civic

I wouldn't go by the lights on the box. They tend to burn out. The contractors in that transfer switch were all replaced about 5 years ago there is a power protection system. Could it be detecting bad incoming power? Does the inverter work? I will call when I am out of a Dr app

Tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Bill, sorry to hear of your problems. Here is what I would do, assuming I understand everything correctly. I would first use a voltmeter to check the receptacle on the post to ensure that the breaker is indeed passing current. If there is no voltage there you would get the results you are getting. Just flipping the breaker does not prove it is totally functional.

If the receptacle proves OK then I would pull the plug and take the cover off the transfer box, replug into the pedestal and check voltage on the input cable where it is connected to the transfer relays. If this checks OK then the problem is in the box and the box will probably have to be replaced. The exception would be if the box is a combined transfer and surge protection device. In that case you would need to determine of the protection circuits are locking out the transfer switch due to some voltage abnormality. I'm unable to advice on how to test that. Assuming that is not the case and if I needed power urgently I probably would tie the input and output cables on the trnasfer switch together until I could get the box replaced. Remember to unplug from the post and check for any residual voltage prior to doing this or the experience could be shocking. If your gen isn't working there is no current need for the transfer switch at all, unless of course it contains a built-in surge protector and you feel a need to preserve that function for the time being.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Tom, inverter works and of course is not detecting any incoming charge so just inverter is on. I checked the receptacle and the readings on the voltmeter are good so there is juice and 240 volts 120 plus on each leg. I'll take the voltmeter and check the voltage on input cables and walk back here to update and use internet.

B

2003 Ford F250 SD
2001 Honda Civic

Bill. Call me 817 223 2056. I can't call your magic jack number unless you call me first

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard, just left you a message...Still no shore power. I got underneath the bed in back of coach and disconnected the inverter power source to re-boot to see if that would help and still no shore power. Inverter works fine.

Not sure what to look for next.

B

2003 Ford F250 SD
2001 Honda Civic

Bill, open the transfer switch box and see if one contactors is up and one is down (energized). The one from the power should be energized. If it is, you should have some or all of the four lights on the front of the box on and should have power coming out of the switch. If the contactor is not down, take a plastic or wooden handled screwdriver or better yet a piece of wood and press down on the top of the contactor to see if that energizes the circuit. That will start the process of narrowing down the potential issues.

I don't know if your power protection device is wired in before the transfer switch or after it. If wired in before the transfer switch that could be your problem and you should verify that it is allowing power INTO the transfer box. If it is wired after the transfer switch, you are trying to verify that power is getting to the transfer switch and then out of the transfer switch.

Of course all this presumes that the switch near the drivers seat is in the shorepower position.

Keep us posted.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Sorry to hear of more problems Bill ... Hope the family is as patient as you are. I think between all the electrical Gurus you may be able to hard wire around the transfer switch until you get a new one ... above my pay grade, Best of luck.

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

I just tried to call you to see if I could help, but when I did they said you have to call my number first. My # is 440.714.9213. Call anytime !

Jeff and Kim HamiltonBig Grin
1988 BB Wonderlodge xxv silver edition
2008 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4
2010 HD Ultra Limited 103
2002 19' Baliner cutty
2006 Chevrolet Box truck
2000 Olds Bravada
1997 Chevrolet Suburban 4x4

Elyria, Ohio