You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Prevost & Newell which makes you drool?

Hi guys,

I’m sorry for using the “P” word on Newell Guru, if you will allow me this one dispensation I’ll not use such language again!

I’ve known about Prevost for years, I had two good friends in Amway who had them and they were very nice coaches for sure.

Newell I’ve known a couple months and the more I know the more I know Newell is the coach for me and my wife! One main difference I know is that Newell is built from the ground up by Newell engineers. Prevost is a bus chassis (like Bluebird) converted to a Motorhome by companies like Marathon.

That is about what I know and would appreciate you good folks filling in the voids.

Thanks again,

Harry

Harry, go to rv.net and go to forum and them type in Newell in search space, there is 10 pages on this. At second look it looks like you might have started the thread. It was good reading and I think Richard was the one introduce it to us or at least me.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Harry we'll talk about anything here. Many members are previous Prevost owners and they are very nice. But being that all of them are converted buses, it depends somewhat who did the conversion. So you have two things to consider, the bus and the converter. The extent of my knowledge is that I help a friend maintain and drive his Liberty converted Prevost. What I see from that viewpoint is; it is more difficult and more costly to maintain. Maybe partly because the converters have to build around the bus, instead of being purpose built as the Newell is. No way derogatory remarks toward the Prevost.. that, it is just different...

Jimmy

Hi qcj,

You are right about that thread on RV.Net and it turned into a good one didn't it? I asked here because you guys are Newell owners and thought you may have more to share.

O”zarkuy did just that with “it is more difficult and more costly to maintain. Maybe partly because the converters have to build around the bus, instead of being purpose built as the Newell is."

And Richard, don't blame me when people want to know why you sent me here. It was qcj who let the cat out of the bag! Blush

See it was qcj, he's always been trouble... Cool

Bluebird was purpose built like Newell, also

Ernie Ekberg
Bluebird Wanderlodge

I'm a very good guy. I have never been any trouble. That is correct, just ask Tom.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

I don't bash Newells, Prevost or Blue Birds. They are all different, they all have their devoted followers.

To me, the issue is 'what do you need, want and expect from a motorhome'. If manufacturer support is important, unfortunately Blue Bird motorhomes are out of business. If a purpose built motorhome is important, Prevost is at a disadvantage. If you expect an over the road bus, Prevost may be your choice. If you really want a motorhome based on Class 7 or 8 truck, there are companies out there that do those also.

The thread referenced earlier certainly enunciates many of the commonly mentioned pros and cons relative to high end coaches and goes off into the weeds at times.

Looking at what is important to you will go a long way in making your decision. Floorplan customization and one-stop customer support bring a number of people to Newells. In the end, the decision should be based on your needs and priorities.

Someone who uses a coach a couple of times a year to attend a rally may or may not have different priorities than a person who plans to live in a coach for six months or more at a time. A warranty may or may not be a predominate factor in a persons selection priorities.

Focus on facts versus opinions. Everyone has an opinion but many don't have facts to support their opinion. Mr. Blade has quoted Daniel Patrick Moynihan: "you are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts". Stick to facts and you will make a good decision.

This forum serves to help each other and develop friendships. We avoid arguments on 'which is best' because that is an unanswerable question on a general level. It is only relevant on an individual basis. If there was a coach that met everyone's needs, wants and expectations, there would only be one company left.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Good thoughts, Michael

Ernie Ekberg
Bluebird Wanderlodge

Michael brings up a great point. Perhaps it would help if you could tell us your wish list and intended purpose. I appreciate that you are early in your learning curve relative to Newells and there is scant literature and information available. The guys, and gals, on the forum can help you best if we understand your needs.

As you do your homework, and it is very smart of you to do your homework, we are most happy to answer any of your questions. Many of us looked at Prevosts, Bluebirds, Country Coach, Foretravel, and other high end rigs, and for our own reasons ended up in the Newell camp.

Harry, do you mind telling us a little about you? What is your background? Have you owned RVs before? How mechanically or electrically inclined are you? What are you going to use the coach for?

I am going to throw out my own two cents here, and it's worth exactly what you paid for it.

One, whatever you buy, buy a coach with a monocoque or monocoque like structure. Meaning there is a complete cage as the superstructure of the coach and the walls are bonded to the superstructure forming part of the superstructure. Why? It's stronger and lasts much longer. When you get the opportunity to ride or drive in such a coach you will be amazed at how quiet it is compared to a coach built on a raised rail chassis.

Two, the running gear such as axles, suspensions, transmissions, and engines for all of those coaches are from specialty companies like Ridewell, Dana, and ZF. Most in the vintage you are looking at will have Aquahot heating. Some Newells have basement air, some have roof air. None of the Newells will have OTR air con. Some Prevosts have it and some don't. OTR air is air con for the whole coach that is powered solely by the engine. If you want total coach air for a Newell you run the genny. Do your own research on the OTR air. My take was it takes deep pockets to keep it going.

Three, styling is an individual thing. We shouldn't tell you what you like interior or exterior.

Four, the mid door setup is loved by those who have it, and widely criticized by folks who have not owned a mid door coach.

Five, the custom bridge chassis of a Newell provides a tremendous amount of basement storage.

Six, and this is my own opinion. Prevosts ride slightly better than Newells, and Newells drive slightly better than Prevosts. Huh? I say the closest analogy is Mercedes and BMW. Mercedes cars usually ride extremely well, and Bimmers usually handle a little better with some sacrifice to comfort. Neither are what you would say are undesirable choices.

Seven, as Steve Bare said in another thread. Please don't read this forum and think that all we have is trouble. Far from it, but keep in mind the primary purpose of the forum was to help one another fix things, and we are a greasy fingers crowd. It is only natural that the majority of the posts are relative to solving a problem.

Eight, you are asking great questions. Keep them coming.

Nine, you might want to privately talk with Doug Matz, who has owned a number of Prevosts and recently took possession of his first Newell.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Michael and Richard, a wise and through analysis of the issues.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica