You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

How do house batteries charge when just the engine is running
Photo 

Will my house batteries charge when I am driving and the generator is not on? I dont think mine are if they are supposed to and wonder if I don't have a switch turned off that needs to be on?

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Yes. To the best of my knowledge it is automatic. There is a big solenoid in the electrical panel at the engine that ties the two battery banks together. However that solenoid can fail and Newell recommends annual replacemnt

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Clark I would yours and mine are one and the same. Is this the small electrical panel at the back side of the coach that opens to the outside (not in the engine bay) and has the relays for the turn signals? Do you know what this solenoid looks like or can you send me a pic if you do? I bet this is my issue.

Thanks Richard.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Richard is correct. If your house batteries are not charging off of the engine alternator, the merge solenoid (as opposed to the start solenoid) should be checked and likely replaced. It requires a continuous duty solenoid, not a starter solenoid. Putting a starter solenoid in will give great results for a few minutes before it self destructs. Yes, I have personal knowledge of this.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Todd, my coach has two devices in the engine electrical compartment that relate to your issue. There is a merge solenoid that is activated by a switch on the dash to merge the house and chassis batteries. Since you mentioned that the alternator is not charging the house batteries, I would suspect the other device frequently called an isolator. Its function is to automatically allocate alternator output to the battery bank that needs it. It is often blue, has large heat sink fins, and three large battery cables attached. Perhaps another Guru can tell you how to check it out.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

When going down the road and your silver leaf said 13.9, I presume the engine batteries are being charged. Is this correct? Does this mean that both house and engine batteries are also being charged or just house?

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Silverleaf shows the voltage on the engine batteries. Take a look at the large DC voltmeter on the overhead console to see what the voltage is on the house batteries. Your Silverleaf will confirm ONLY that the engine batteries are being charged. If your merge solenoid/isolator (I am not sure when Newell began putting an isolator in but the merge solenoid controls the 'automatic' merging on my 1992) is functioning, the engine alternator should charge both. If it is not working, only the engine batteries will be charging.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Todd, you I have this little door on the right side of the radiator at the rear of the coach. I'll take a picture and put it up here later. My house batteries charge while driving, automatically.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

it is a common solenoid. it is a cole hersee 24106.

http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/cole-h...-v30-24106

at least that is what was on my 90 and the 02.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Chappell, the isolator takes care of that for you by allocating a portion of the alternator current to the house or engine bank that needs it most. It is my understanding that the alternator voltage regulator senses how much current to supply to the isolator. This is my understanding of how this works, but then I am not an expert.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica