You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Appel's air system

I just got off the phone with Bill & his mechanic. They are in need of any one who has an understanding of the leveling & travel systems on a '90 Newell. It is pre HWH. It appears that the leveling & travel systems are fighting amongst each other. Both systems seem to be activated at the same time. As the travel solenoid tries to add air, the dump valve is exhausting air. The front & rear are working the opposite--On the front the LF goes too high & on the rear the RR goes too high. Any of you classic owners that can help?

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve, of course I do not know this system, but perhaps there is a way to disconnect the leveling part of the system so that only the travel front center valve works and he can get on down the road. Just an idea to consider.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

The front six-pack (6 solenoids) includes:
1) a pair of travel solenoids that should be activated (power to the coils when the system is in travel mode
2) a left and right exhaust solenoid that should NOT have power when in travel mode
3) a left and right raise solenoid that should NOT have power when in travel mode

That should be fairly easy to verify if for some reason in travel mode the raise solenoids are getting power and adding air to the bags. Even if they were, it would seem that once the travel height valve got too high, built in exhaust would open and start releasing the air at about the same quantity as the errant raise solenoid was adding it in. Temporarily disconnect the power leads to the raise solenoids and see that changes anything. If not, you are back to the front height control valve again.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Here is a drawing of the HWH air leveling system for the early 1990's Newells.

[Image: NewellHWHAirLevelingSystem.jpg]

Note that the lines represent AIR lines not ELECTRICAL connections

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

the air system in bill's 90 is not an hwh system. it is a manual system built by newell.

toggle switches for up and down for each corner. but the 6 pack and such are hwh

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

The diagram should be applicable for either the Newel manual system or the HWH control since the electronics are not shown other than the solenoids.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Yeah I talked to the mechanic too. I can't make hide nor hair out of what is going on. I hope that in the diagnostics that solenoid valves were not switched

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I know this is not exactly your coach, but the Provost I mess with has this system which may be similar.. Has some good troubleshooting tips.
http://prevostcommunity.com/PDF/Prevost%...2-2-12.pdf

Jimmy

Bill,

Can you post an update?

If you are still having problems can you post what it is doing and not doing? Can you post what the technician has done? Sorry to ask for so much BUT so much of the phone conversations with you and the tech don't exactly tie out with what others are reporting as a result of phone calls. So all of the gurus are kind of guessing based on different fact sets.

It may actually help to take the time to sit down and think through the whole set of events and then write it down. I can imagine that may be asking a lot but it will help us help you.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard, understand and will try my best to explain the chain of events to present.
1. After refueling in Rapid city we pulled back on interstate and heather and I noticed that the coach was riding different than it had been all trip long. We pulled over approx. 8 miles down the road in a rest area and I surveyed the coach noticing that the left rear of coach had dropped significantly below normal ride height and the right front had inflated significantly over ride height.

2. I then switched to leveling mode and tried to raise L/R and lower R/F but no luck getting the heights to change.

3. I then pulled both cords in my front right bay to release any water or such and the coach did nothing ...I didn't think it would but what the heck.

4. I then turned coach off and called you. I had heather and boys drive the towed forward 20 miles to destination to take care of some business and I sat with the coach and talked with you and prepared for arranging a tow or mobile mechanic. After finding out Good Sam's mobile mechanic was 6 hrs away I told them that I would stay put for awhile and figure out my next move.

5. Approx 2.5 hrs later I started the coach and let her air up and the R/F over inflated but the L/R had inflated too but not to full ride height. I then made the decision to move the coach 20 miles down the road to Spearfish. Plugged her in and did not turn on the aux compressor as I wanted her to fall.

6. Called Iron Horse Mobile Mechanic in Belle Fourche, SD and he came to look and they were able by adjusting leveling arms to get enough air in the rear to move to their shop. He said airbags were holding air and that was not the problem but no air was leaking anywhere. The manually got enough air in rear to move coach but the front was well over travel height and rear was barely travel height...I limped the coach another 17 miles and it drove terrible obviously not moving a=or adjusting air as I drove so I compressed a vertebrae or two.

7. Called Newell and they told him they would replace all solenoids and they advised him to replace both six packs. They raised the coach and inspected Ride height control valves and lines and they believed them to be good. MEchanic did not want to change all solenoids as he tested them and he felt they were not the problem.He tested solenoids on front six pack and rear six pack, he tested the transfer switch from leveling mode to travel mode it appeared good.

8. Day two, tested travel height solenoid in rear would not power up when testing again with ammeter...had him talk to Steve Bare and explain situation and we called and left message for you. I had them change the L/R wheel seal while the left tires were off as well. After further troubleshooting I called newell and ordered 12 solenoids and 1 RHCV for the front and 2 RHCV for the rear as a safety net in case we need to replace everything...I figure if all parts are not needed they go in Appel's inventory for future use. Currently I am waiting for parts to arrive.

9. MEchanic seems to think it is electrical that a ground or a switch came loose with a bump or something coming out of Pilot but I do not recall any jarring bump. This is my best summation of the events...

Hope this helps Gents...

2003 Ford F250 SD
2001 Honda Civic
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster LT