You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Resolved Front house A/C not working and 100+ temp

Tom,
Is this the same unit and placement of your front unit that we pulled out and had on the ground in Spearfish last year ??? Didn't somebody take some photos of us doing this ??? I recall many of us gathered to do this.

Sundance , if you have never blocked a Newell make sure you block both the chassis and the house frame ,,, individually , of course...
Good luck and try to get a pro to help with blocking or if someone here has photos of when they have done it on the same vintage please post ....

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

Here is the pic I took. Not much tech help though.

I don't think you will need to get under the coach to remove the A/C unit. We didn't have to get under Tom's coach.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Lot's of screws to remove and cutting through the tape holding the air duct to the unit should be done carefully so it will be easy to reinstall. Once the wires are disconnected and the air duct removed, it slides straight out. If you have something that will hold it at the same height as the bottom of the bay you can do it by yourself. If you have to lift it out like we did in the RV Park, I would definitely get help to avoid dropping it. Same issue with getting it back in.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

now that i have done it with the help of the gang, i think i could do it in an hour or less if i had someone to help lift it.

that said, all of these things seem to be put in slightly differently.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Mine is similar to Tom's, so here are some photos I took when I removed mine.

I found another photo and I have more photos of the circuit board if anyone wants them.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

When I took my A/C out, I had to take the lower front keeper screws out and move the unit out a few inches to take the top off. There is very little room in my coach between the unit and the bay walls to take out the small 5/16" screws out on three side of the top. Best to get a 5/16 ratchet similar to that in the photo to get them out and back in later.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Hi Gurus
Still can't find instructions for blocking on coach...don't want to screw it up...will call Newell and see if they will provide.
Rear AC stopped cooling...blower works...but barely cool...not like it was working yesterday or previously. any ideas?
Filters are days old and clean....
I have changed every 3weeks....
Over a hundred and humid with zero AC, not a good situation...

Hi Chester
Thanks for posting images...my unit is mounted/arranged differently
Both are in the middle of coach with condenser coils area open to underside of coach
Both evap coils of front and rear unit face each other in void between stairs and batteries compartment on driver side.

Anyone ever pull one of these type units/ installs?

Thanks

1996 Coach #422 Fulltiming

your rear unit is a dual one. i would see if it is drawing amps (the compressor on each system in the back should draw i think about 10-11 amps for a total of about 22-25 amps if both are running. and they will each be on different legs. you can check the amps on the amp meter for l1 and l2 up front inside. if the amperage is low, i would replace the run capacitor on the compressors they are right behind the access panel on the front of the unit (on mine anyway). i replace all of them on my units. paid like 6-8 bucks apiece for the capacitors.

other please chime in. jeff is really struggling here with aircon problems. i am a neophite at aircon stuff. just enough to be dangerous.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom is right about the amps drawing on each unit. I think Newell charges the freon based on the amp draw rather than pressures. The only experience I had was a bad compressor and it would trip the breaker. Replaced compressor and it is good.
After you determine the amp draw, check and see with unit running is the compressor/evaporator fan running?
Sorry, but that's the extent of my knowledge. Have you found a local a/c guy to check it out? These are more like a house a/c unit rather than a rooftop rv type. When in Salt Lake I convinced a local guy to come out and check out my unit (after calling 5 others). He pulled it out, checked and determined the compressor was shorted and would need to be replaced. Unfortunately his price was much higher than Newell's so I stopped at the factory for the work.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337