You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Resolved Front house A/C not working and 100+ temp

Hi Jeff,
If I remember right I have replaced boards on both units. The rear unit is behind the tool box curb side board is access through the bay that side and the front is in bay front of steps driver side. Board on front unit is accessible from under the coach. Look at your spare units to get and ideal of the placement. What has happen with the battery issue and leveling problem? Contact me if I can be of any help.

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

Got some no rinse spray....didn't seem to phase it...my arms are not long enough to try combing or wiping coils
Rear unit is not board issue...both compressors run...but minimal cool and they are freezing in maybe 40 min...can't see frost on evap coil...but condensation stops dripping under coach....let sit hour or so and get condensation puddle under unit on ground...then I turn back on and in two minutes fan comes on...then maybe one minute L1 amps jump 15amps as one compressor kicks on...then maybe two min more and L2 goes from zero to 10amps as 2nd comp comes on...
Doesn't blow very cool even with both comp running....

The only way to plenum is take out all house batteries and go through wood wall or rip out entry stone stairs...neither seems best move....

Seems pulling rear unit is in my near future...

Front unit might be board or other wire, capacitors,motor, comp, etc....

1996 Coach #422 Fulltiming

Sounds line you are low on charge. It's freezing I the evap cool and then when you shut it down the ice melts and the condensation or melted ice shows up.

Doug and Melanie Matz
2015 45 Bunk Coach 1517
Toad Ford Flex

Rear unit not working, when 2nd comp. try's to start, it spikes Amp on L2 to 40 !
Didn't pop breaker because we turned it off ....
Jimmy is neighbor (Wow!! another great Guru and super guy) suggested to just try one compressor...we did and it worked for about 30 min at 10-12 amps and was cooling...then Amps spiked to about 30 on it and we turned it off...seems to be freezing up....
So no AC but cooler weather and rain forecasted...
Looking at rear unit per Ron's suggestion Jimmy and I pulled wall out from behind tool box and gained access to side and then pulled side panel off unit...didn't see control board but could see crimped freon pipes that taps could be added to...

Looking at front unit coils with light from nose of coach, they have lots of road gunk...
What have you others done to clean these, and how often?

Knowing these are 18yrs old...Jimmy and I think pulling rear unit, getting it rebuilt and re- installing is best option for now...thoughts?

Thanks

1996 Coach #422 Fulltiming

I think the control board is accessible after you remove the panel. I know that I would hope that someone could tell you if its the board. I would always on my 89 and 96 have a guy who work on residential unit check and fix when I had a problem. Electrical is where I am really in the dark. Someone that know A/C really make it look simple. You do have the spare units that I think are OK. Try to get an A/C tech to help and Richard is the best. Good luck

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

For those watching Jeff's AC issues I uploaded the SCS manuals here under documents:
http://newellgurus.com/Thread-SCS-Model-...stallation

Jimmy

I pulled both of mine and did a complete refurb. Cleaned all coils and straightened fins, new compressors, new boards, all new capacitors, and they have never worked better. Been in 108 deg and coach was 70 inside. Difference from under step inside return is 21 degrees. It is a lot cheaper to just do it all at one time. Took to Newell to tweak but that was useless as any a/c guy can tweak.

Dave and Marjorie, Gus & Angel (our Tonkinese cats)
Newell Coach #423 - 45'11" "Rare" First full Rear Bath and mid 1/2 bath produced. Full timers since 03/2013.
Find us on Facebook Our Life on the Road

Where did you get the compressors when you refurbished?

Johnstone Supply in Savannah Ga. They sold me two there, and I had a third shipped directly to Newell when I got there. Exact replacement for 1/2 the Newell price. My paperwork is packed away so would be a few weeks to get a number.
Dave

Dave and Marjorie, Gus & Angel (our Tonkinese cats)
Newell Coach #423 - 45'11" "Rare" First full Rear Bath and mid 1/2 bath produced. Full timers since 03/2013.
Find us on Facebook Our Life on the Road

The compressors should be a common item. Should be available at any Johnstones supply nationally. The have common distribution centers similar to Nappa.

Doug and Melanie Matz
2015 45 Bunk Coach 1517
Toad Ford Flex