You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

DYI 2004 Total Interior Update?

I need your advice (and collective knowledge).

After lots of education, looking, measuring I think we've found a Newell that has the "bones" we're looking for (well, almost). It #685, a 2004, 4 slide 1.5 bath that the original owner is selling. It's got almost 93K on it, but looks to have been lovingly maintained and mechanically upgraded (365 upgrade ~ maybe anti-sway bar). It has a steering tag (critical for me), and DD special 60 with no EGR...which I'm not sure about (lots of hill climbing, is 500hp/1650 torgue enough?). I was hoping for a 600 Cummins, but my guy swears these are better.

This coach has more windows than I've ever seen in a coach ~ and almost all of them open! (Not a huge AC fan when the weather is nice). He even has the opening parts on the top, so seated you have an unobstructed view ~ which I really like.

The owner just finished a major TV upgrade and did a tremendous job.

While we like the granite entry, the "crop circles" carpeting and many of the wall furnishings make it dated. This will be a "four season" coach, and we were hoping to have full heated wood planks that would work with the existing granite...but not sure if this can be done after the fact. With the 365 series upgrade, it sounds like we have lots of CCC (waiting for the actual weigh figures to come in).

We're both pretty handy on interior finishing....would doing our own floor and redoing a lot of the phantom wall treatments be something a "lay person" with moderate experience (and a wife who can sew up a storm) tackle? The booth cushions would be a breeze, but I'm not familiar how Newells are "screwed together" so blind disassembly is always nerve wracking.

We'd love to replace the kitchen counter with granite and an induction cook top and better sink set up to provide more counter space...but we've never heard of anyone doing that.

Are we insane? Here's a link, so you can see for yourself. http://www.rvt.com/Newell-Mid-Entry-Quad...64-UX69938

Mark of SJC

mark,

if you are patient, handy and not afraid to tear into things, nothing you have said is rocket science. i did a granite floor in my 90 (with ernies advice) and in my 02 we recovered the window wall phantom pieces and they looked great. as good as original and a color we liked.

the countertop is just that and nothing that cant be changed. you just have to make sure what you do will fit in the cabinet pieces down below that hold the counter. just beware of weight.

and you are right on the blind panels, but i found almost all of them in mine with some detective work, long (2 foot) screwdrivers, wrenches, etc.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Nice coach, but be advised you cannot install hardwood floors as they are too thick and you must use a laminate with a drop floor slide.
If you take the dinette apart the screws are put in from the rear and mostly hidden well, but a stud finder solves the search issue.
The carpet you refer to as dated is one of the most expensive carpets per foot on the planet and is much more durable than you can ever imagine. If you need a new wood laminate talk to Ernie who is on this site or Tommy Key at Newell. Both can clue you in on price and time.
This DD 60 pre EGR is considered the best and more were installed in the US than any counterpart in the 20 years prior to EPA changes. If the computer was updated as it is mandated by DD you will have electronic problems as I know others with 04's and 05's had after a forced upgrade. My DD in Florida lets me slide on the mandate as they agree it ruins performance. I have had the Cummins you speak of in another coach and was not nearly as pleased as with the performance of my DD 60 Turbo the past 4 years. Good Luck with your purchase..

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

Go for it! From a guy who also has done some moderate remodeling. A heavy weight sewing machine will help with the upholstery as will a pro air powered upholstery stapler. The harder part will getting out the old staples. Use the old covering as a pattern.

The dd is a great engine.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

If you do decide to go Granite on the countertops, go lightweight like many of the provost converters do and maybe Newell not sure. They do a lightweight by using thin sheets of granite with a structural laminate on the back.. Reduces the weight considerably and looks just as great.. This is an example.. http://www.luxuryyp.com/granite_countertop.html

Jimmy

Mark, I don't know weather you have looked or not, but motorhomesoftexas.com has a 05 for the same price. It was owned by a Dr. and think it was also a one owner.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Nice looking coach. If you buy it and redo the floor there are heating mats that can be installed under laminate floors.
I used a heating pad when I changed out the floor in the bathroom on my '93. Hey Jon, is the heated floor still working good?
Oh and tell the photographer not to use starlight filters. He's trying to sell a coach, not make artwork!

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

I agree Forest, I don't care for star filters used like they are here.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

The starlight filter is almost a trademark of Steve Bennett. He uses that one every coach he has photographed for the past 9 years. Some like it, some don't but it is different and that helps folks remember where the coach was listed as well as minimizing the potential of others scamming up an ad with his photos.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

But it makes me wonder what is he trying to hide? I prefer a technical picture showing the details. Not pictures that you can't really see details because of this. And of course I know how easy it is to take a picture and not show problems. Back when I had a studio business I would always ask an older person "how much younger do you want to look" when processing their photos.
There are starlight filters that show minimal distortions. But this is off-topic so please disregard. The coach does look interesting and worth further investigation.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337