You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Old Admirerer, Harmless

First, special thanks Tom for the nice welcome. I sure appreciate the thoughtfulness. I just got home the 2500 mile trip in a sedan. I hope never to do it again.

I've slept in my vehicle since 1971. Westphalias (3) and some ski-rigged VWs that slept two. My wife and I whipped a 34' gas Ford with no slides- coast to coast for a few years: 100,000 miles and near worthless to the main stream. We worked in the RV biz for some time and consulted with a few major in the automotive and tech stuff. Soon to be ready to get serious about a coach and resume the road.

I drove four hours yesterday to check out an'86 Newell 40' Detroit w/180k on the chassis and a fresh engine at c. 95k miles. Trans is same date. The coach was built for a Biker named Spencer. I believe Mr. Bob Dunfey also owned the coach. Anyone know this ol' classic dawg? Falling in love.

Once the clear coat is gone, what's a fella to do? That is the question.

Nice to get a chance to learn from others while doing. Thanks, Paul

Welcome Paul. We have a number of members who own Classics that should be able to help you with any questions you might have. I am not aware of that specific coach based on the description. If you know the VIN I will see what information I might have. I do have some information on 1986's with sequence numbers 21, 24, 26 and 27 (the last three digits of the VIN was the sequence number). The VIN's for 1986 will begin with 1N9 and have a G as the tenth character.

As to paint, many of the Classics with polish up nicely and if a good wax is kept on them will look surprisingly good. If the paint is in really bad shape if could require a new paint job but s new paint job is expensive. These coaches were originally painted with Imron paint which is no longer used. The Wide Body began during 1986 which was 6" wider at 102". From the front these are easy to identify as the windshield will have a 6" wide vertical section of glass in the center between the standard right and left windshields. The extra width really opens up the interior. The tires should be 11R24.5 load range H. Those are very good tires. Newell had extremely good luck with the Goodyear and Bridgestones in 11R24.5. 1986 was the first year that Newell built coaches with a tag other than one coach they built in 1978.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

hi paul, hopefully you can get some 1980's owners to pipe in. there are quite a few on the forum. and almost all of them are very knowledgeable.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Welcome aboard Poozak,
I like the "harmless" tag!
If that 1986 is clearcoated I would guess it has been repainted. Your due diligence should include finding out how old the paint is. Look very closely for signs that the aluminum has started to corrode under the paint. It's not uncommon and it is repairable but you will want to factor that cost into your purchase decision. I don't know of any way to remove the clear coat without risking the color coat underneath. You could try to scratch-pad an area and re clear it but the transition would still show on a close exam. Another thing to be aware of is the paint at the "overlaps" on the aluminum siding. Too much paint that is "bridging" that overlap will bubble as the siding expands/contracts.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Welcome aboard Paul,
I have a 102" 40' 1986 with last three digits 004. If you need any information specific to the 1986 model year don't hesitate to ask.

So Michael, with this information can you tell me my coach number?

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Jon, if yours was a 1987, I have enough data that I could. From 1986 what I am missing is the sequence number for the last coach made that year OR a coach number for ANY of the VIN's that I have. Have you looked on the inside of the engine compartment bay doors? Your coach number should be close to 93.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Gentlemen, I found the VIN (IN9912X89G1011031) as well as Coach #113 with a manufacturer's date of 12/85. The build quality is just amazing. Pouring over the current owner's collection of records, the coach seems well cared for overall. The exterior, while straight and complete, is a concern due to fading and failing paint and clear coat.

Thanks for the nice welcome and the rapid responses. I'm delighted to know this forum of resources and experience with Newell Coaches exists. That's great! Paul

Thank you Paul, that is very helpful information. If the coach number you have listed is correct (and it is in a feasible range) then Jon's coach would be #86. That is about 4-7 less than I would have expected but certainly in a very feasible range.

Paul, I presume that the coach you are looking at has the Detroit 8V92 with the Allison HT 740 transmission, although there were come Cummins 903 installed in 1986.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Welcome to the forum, we hope you find the right coach for you.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Side question ~ up to what year was Imron paint used? What did Newell go to after that?

Mark of SJC