You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

scs thermostat manual

hi guys,

i know we have concluded that there are no new SCS thermostats for the basement airs we have.

one of the things about mine that i really dont like is that it only shows the setpoint temperature and not the room temp like a normal thermostat does.

mine look very similar to russ's that are on his 99 but do not function the same.

i am wondering if there isnt some magical combination of button pushing that allows you to program the thermostat. example....there is only 3 pushbuttons on mine. up, down and fan. so i started trying different combos of pushing them and holding. if i hold the up and down buttons down together for like 15 seconds and then let go, the display switches to centigrade. doing the same it switches back to F. so i wonder if there isnt some other combo of button pushing that lets me display room temp instead of setpoint temp.

any thoughts or do any of you have the manual for my thermostat?

thanks

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Ha - you won't give up on this one, and I don't blame you. I remember when I was at your sauna, I mean driveway, I took a shot at getting it to display the actual temperature. All I managed was to get it to display the setpoint in celcius :-)

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Is there a way to set the length of time it takes for the digital read out to boot up when the unit is first turned on?

My front thermostat takes about 3 minutes to come on. The rear thermostat comes on as soon as I select COOL/HEAT.

Also, if it is too cold in the coach and I raise the setting on the thermostat to get it to cut off, it takes a long time (3 to 4 minutes) to kick off. If it was set on 70 and my wife gets cold, if I put it up to 80 it still takes 3 to 4 minutes to kick off! That's a long time to wait when your teeth are chattering.

I usually just turn the unit off with the selector switch, but then I forget to turn it back on.

Any help will be appreciated.

Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2005 Honda Pilot

I don't think there is any way. I suffer the same delays. It's almost enough to make me change thermostats, but finding one with the exact configuration with the high and low fan speeds SCS uses to control single stage cooling has eluded me, so I have just learned to live with it. The delays are documented in the SCS manual so we are stuck with them.

Russ White
#530  ( Sold )

Speaking of thermostats - I turned up the bedroom heat (2 baseboard electric heaters) in our coach last night and heard a buzzing from the thermostat and the breaker tripped. It's a "Dayton Electric Heat" with a simple turning knob and an off notch at the bottom. Wondering if anyone has replaced these with anything other than the original Dayton?

#146 - 87 40' Tag 8V92TA DDEC
towing Toyota RAV4

Tom, I have attached a photo of my original thermostat which is in the bedroom, and a photo of Newell's replacement which I recently installed in the living area. Both show the current temperature, and when the up or down button is pushed, you see the set temperature. There is a built in delay with the old one, but not the new one. You may want to go to the newer ones, and Newell's Dwight will help with wiring. Good luck

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Chester,

When you have time, please post the model number of your replacement thermostat. Do you know if it retains the functionality of only allowing one A/C to operate when LOW fan speed is chosen? I also assume it is a two stage device, starting the second A/C when actual is beyond setpoint by 2 degrees or more.

It am still searching for one with dimensions closer to the origianl. My living area T/S is mounted on the faux column between the mid door and the kitchen counters. That location requires a narrow T/S and would not accept the wider one you used.

Thanks, Russ

Russ White
#530  ( Sold )

Russ, it is a RVComfort..PHP, Coleman-Mack, model 6535A336. The specs. state that it is a two stage heat pump wall thermostat, supplied by Newell. Mine is mounted is the same place as yours, and the screw holes allowed me to mount it in same place, but a little of the box extends over the curved end of the post. If you want, I can photo the area to verify it is the same. I worked out a wiring diagram with Dwight at Newell, and posted it here.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey

Chester,

Looking more closely at the picture you posted earlier I think I can see how it is extending beyond the flat surface of the column I think I could live with that to rid myself of the three minute delay. Do you recall ballpark what Newell wants for that T/S? Thanks

Russ White
#530  ( Sold )

Russ, I paid $244 including shipping. However, even if I could have purchased it cheaper somewhere else, the wiring instructions they provided was invaluable.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey