You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

If NO Newell... What's your favorite Tool?

Greetings Sports Fans,

Since I’ve been lurking around various RV forums for a few months before going in for a soft landing here at the Guru. You can’t be around long before you realize that everyone has a favorite motorhome company. I guess its like the old Chevy - Ford thing right?

I was talking to a friend of mine and told him of my RV plans and a Newell in particular and of course mentioned you guys here on the Guru. His first question was “are they all Newell owners” and I said I wasn’t sure because they all don’t show their couches. But I’m sure there are Newell want-a-be’s like me hanging around.

Then he said something I thought was thought provoking which was “I’ve never heard of a Newell, are there other Newell type motorhomes with a name I’d recognize?” That question got my attention because I had never heard of Newell until, I believe it was Richard mentioned it on a different fourm.

I thought that was a great question especially if asked here on the Guru a little differently. So here’s the question of questions!

If there where no Newell's... What would you buy?

Harry

Possibly Prevost, but probably nothing now that I know what Newell quality is.

You Said "I guess its like the old Chevy - Ford thing right?"

It's more like Chevy vs Rolls Royce..

For the masses or, the few informed discriminating folks ....

There are thousands of the OB but just a few Newell's, they are not even in the blue-book....

Jimmy

Foretravel, Bluebird, Prevost

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Harry, I have owned a Foretravel and if there was no Newell, I would buy a Foretravel. Being in a town where they are made does help. All repair shops including Foretravel knows all about them and parts are easy to obtain.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Foretravel or a Wanderlodge

2003 Ford F250 SD
2001 Honda Civic
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster LT

Thanks guys,

I found out about Foretravel about the same time as Newell and most comments were positive. What I remember is someone saying its a Newell without the glitz! Prevost was no surprise but Wonderlodge is because its not in business anymore.

I'm too much of a novice to consider a coach that is no longer in business. Country Coach was another one that was mentioned but I discounted it for the same reason.

It is very difficult to consider a coach other than a Newell once you've been on this forum for awhile and took a close look at them!

I was watching a country music show last night and Blake Shelton was there in his big black coach with chrome all over the side and it shouted PREVOST! Does Newell offer a coach that does such shouting? Who doesn't like chrome...

Harry

IMHO Newell doesn't need to shout. I have seen some with polished stainless on the sides of Newells. It looks great but adds weight. Roger Penske's was the first one I saw. I'm thinking it was a late 80's model.
I appreciate that Newells have been built in small numbers. Their image to me is that of a unique (no two alike) hand-built coach that has very few if any compromises because of initial price.
If there were no Newells to be had I would revert to my initial plan (before I found my first Newell): I would build my own conversion on an original Eagle bus.
If I were forced to choose a factory built motorhome I would look at Foretravel with Newmar and Tiffin being a distant second and third choice. IMHO again...When you must build a motorhome to a price point compromises are made that really concern me. At least the other three I mentioned seem to offer excellent factory support. A good friend has had very good factory support from Tiffin motorhomes.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

If there was no Newell, Wow that's like saying if my wife did not exist.. I think I would have more $ in either case..lol

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

I was co-founder of the Wanderlodge forum years ago. Thought I'd better stay with that, for a while

Ernie Ekberg
Bluebird Wanderlodge