You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Repower?

I thought I would start a thread about those interested in repowering their coach, there is definitely pros and cons on the subject. Please post your opinions positive or negative, I have repowered both of my classics and am very happy with them, some of you prefer the original engines.
Here is a thread from the other end of the spectrum, the same mechanic did the repower on my 76, it shows that anything is possible. It is a lengthy thread but a good read.
http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/fo...php?t=7831

Love old schoolHeart
1976 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd
1977 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a repower. Been searching for a donor vehicle and located a good candidate with Keith's help, waiting on a reply with engine and transmission serial numbers. I'll be replacing my 475hp 8V92 and 4spd Allison with a 8.3 Cummins and 6spd Allison. I'll be sacrificing some hp but losing a lot of weight and gaining some mpgs.

This is a project that could take a year or longer, I still work full time, so don't look for constant progress and updates.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

What's the hp & torque specs on the 8.3?

marc & shari popejoy
western Oklahoma
1987 Newell #135

Depends on what its set at, 300 hp 850ft/lbs torque, 330 hp 950ft/lbs torque, they range anywhere from 180hp to 400 hp and up. My 77 was a 210hp we changed the fuel plate and bumped it up some, havent put it on a dyno but it goes like a scared bear!! The 76 is a factory 330hp it goes good also. One issue with them the more fuel you add the more heat needs to dissipate, they are still a 505 cu/in engine. These engines are in thousands of motorhomes and busses everywhere.
I remember starting my old 555 cummins, it would smoke raw diesel until it warmed up, not something my fellow campers would have appreciated. My 8v92 was ok that way but that ol 555 was not an efficient engine, very underpowered as well.

Love old schoolHeart

I would love to improve the fuel mileage on my 93 coach but the economics don't work out. To recover the cost of the change would require way too long to make sense to me. That said, if something happened to the current engine I would certainly be looking to make the change.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Jon, your 77 was repowered back it the day wasn't it originally a 555?

Love old schoolHeart

Is a repower from the 8v92 to the 8.3 realistic. Seems like one is giving up a lot cubic inches....

marc & shari popejoy
western Oklahoma
1987 Newell #135

Marc, like Jon said, he is giving up some hp but losing alot of weight. Jons coach is also a single axle. If he had a tag I would opt for a larger engine if you were inclined to go 4-stroke. Series 60, L10, M11.
Ron, sounds like your turbo is acting up, my duramax had siezed vanes last January, had to replace the turbo.

Love old schoolHeart

Retro: yes my 77 had been repowered from the 230hp Cummins to the 350hp Detroit. Given that the previous owner liked to drive the mountains, 230hp was inadequate for a 28,000 lb coach plus towed. Another aspect of this is that I don't think he had the rear axle gears changed so the ole Detroit was kept pretty wound up, but it sure would haul up the hills, hills that would slow my 93 with a theoretically better hp/weight ratio.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

They came with 5:29 gear ratio, works perfect with the double overdrive 6 spd with .65 :1 6th gear. The original trans were 1:1, the ol 555 engines were screamers

Love old schoolHeart