You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Paint to replace DuPont Inron

Newell gave me the codes for the four Inron paints used on my coach. Has anyone found a paint supplier that can crisscross the Inron codes and supply a substitute nearly the same colors?

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

hi chester, i have the paint codes as well for mine and i got small bottles of touchup paint from newell.

i have not gotten any mixed up, but the most experienced place i have ever seen for paint mixing for cars is in mesa.

http://spaceagepaint.com/

i have had them mix paint for other vehicles.

you might stop by there when you are in town next time. plus it is an a fun place with all the vehicle memorabilia inside.

it is on country club a few miles north of the 60

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom, thanks for responding to both of my posts. I will call them to see if they can mix, and I hope to stop by to see your new shop in late September. I like your air compressor selection.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey

As you know Imron is still available but you have to use full air supply and suits to the painter. Or the painter is kaput. The stuff is nasty, and essentially catalyzed with cyanoacrylate, i.e. superglue. No wonder it still looks great after twenty years.

When you get replacement paint tell the paint shop you want single stage. This is different than the now standard color, then clear coat.

The reason you want single stage is that Imron is not clear coated, and if you try to blend a clear coat type blend it will never look right. You can blend the single stage by using blending solvent and then buffing.

When I did the front end work I used PPG paint because they have the best supply shop in town. The paint mixer had a special camera that he used to take a picture of the paint. It was almost an exact match, and I think that the sample panel I took him was not as exposed to the sun as the rest of the coach. I trust the camera method more than trying to match the paint codes.

Fair warning if any of the paint you are trying to match is metallic. Good luck with that. Subtle differences in spray guns, pressure, and technique can make pretty substantial changes in metallic appearance.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Attached is a photo of the damaged area. I got too close to a stop sign trying to negotiate a sharp corner. I plan to remove the small door that hides the radiator cap which is the same color and should help in matching the paint. Repair can wait until I get a good match either through code or other methods.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey

Richard and Chester, I used PPG paint when doing my front cap and had mediocre results because I DIDN'T use a single stage paint. I had Newell redo it and spray on a new protective liquid mask for the front cap. The PPG paint is not as hard as Imron and requires layer after layer in my experience.
you can still have Imron paint repair work done at many Marinas ....

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border