You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Turbo problems

I am in Utah and having trouble with the turbo. Traveling from Frisco CO to Torrey UT I lost 250 torque and the ck eng light would come on when the turbo kick in and would go out when going down hill. The fault code is 147 unt vanes failure eg. We left Torrey 2 days latter traveling to Zion UT and no problem with torque back to 1650. Will be leaving here going to Page AZ hope the problem doesn't come back. Any ideals? Thanks

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

I would be heading to a good DD engine shop. If vanes on exhaust side go no big problem. On intake side is another matter. possible MAJOR damage with small metal bits getting into cylinders. Or Cat / Cummins depending on your make of engine.

Agreed, my exhaust vanes were siezing up, had loss of boost. I would definately have it checked out sooner than later

Love old schoolHeart
1976 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd
1977 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd

ron i split the thread that you made your comment on and made a new one for you. that way you will get more views and comments on your turbo issue

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Thanks Tom,
I did not now how to do. Thanks also for the other comments. My engine is a 60 series

Ron, just for grins check your hoses and make sure you don't have a broken clamp or leaking hose...

Jimmy

With it coming back I'm not sure what to think.. If it was charge air cooler , u know about those

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

My thoughts as well, if it blows a hole between the turbo and the intake i cant see it coming back either, If the turbo has the variable vanes it could very well be the turbo,

Love old schoolHeart
1976 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd
1977 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd

Went to a diesel shop to day. They think it is the egr or turbo because they said they have had a lot of failure 03 - 08. They said that they can run enough test to define the problem. They were cover up and can't do any thing for about 6 days. I am going to try to go on to Flagstaff or Phoenix and get it looked at there. It did the same thing back in May on my way to Atlanta. I stay there for 3 days and then when I drove back home no problem. I took it in to a Detroit dealer in Knoxville for a complete service and they said no problem. Everything has been fine since then until 3K miles latter. It happen again and after I shut down for 3 days and restarted everything fine again. I will get something done the first time I can find a shop to do the job. I never had a problems that come on then fixes itself for a while. I am right now getting full boost with max torque. I am going from here to Page, Flagstaff to Phoenix AZ. If anyone know of a good shop I am open for suggestions. Thanks for your help

Keep an eye on your exhaust & oil consumption. If seal in turbo goes it can dump oil into the hot exhaust side causing great white blueish billows of smoke from exhaust.