You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

coach measurements needed please

ok,

once again, i need guru help. simple help. i am not near the coach and need some measurements so i can compute the steepest angle of driveway i can have and not bottom out on my trailer hitch.

i am making the assumption the axle to the rear on the 45'8" coach is the same distance from the end of the coach on all of them. at least in my vintage of 2002.

my coach also has the 30k lb massive trailer hitch on it with the 2 1/2" receiver. so hopefully some of you have the same setup.

so, i need the measurement when you are at ride height of the lowest part of the hitch to the ground.

then i need the distance from that lowest part of the hitch to the back tire where it contacts the ground first

that way i can calcuate the angle that is maximum that i can have as a slope.

thanks guys

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom,

On my coach, I have a motorcycle lift and a hitch that is really, really way back. Do you want my measurements? Also, it is not as heavy as some other ones.

Cheers,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

First thing is to make sure the ride height is correct. About 12" both behind the front wheels and in front of the drive wheels as you already know. I rub at the slightest incline. I've learned to raise my coach when in doubt. When Newell works on my coach and they carry it to the bays on other side from where we park overnight, it rubs going into the bay. I ask them to raise the coach because they messed up one of the snaps on my break-a-way hooks the last time I was there. When they backed out it did not rub. Tom I really can't tell you how much incline, but I can tell you to make it as small and long as you possible can. From the looks of your property it looks fairly level.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

first thing i could use is the measurement from the lowest part of the hitch to where the back tire meets the ground. that should be about the same on any of the 45'8" coaches.

then, perhaps from bottom of the middle of the engine compartment door to the ground. then i have a benchmark i can have a neighbor go run and measure from the bottom of the engine compartment door to the bottom of the hitch and subtract that off of your guys total measurement. since my coach in mesa is lowered now, i cant have a neighbor measure the ride height.

there will be a maximum 11.8 degree incline from my driveway to the garage floor. darlene and i measured it this morning. the lot looks flat but really is not. and the slab is raised way up in the air.

thanks. this would be easy if i wasnt 70 miles from the coach.

tom

[attachment=2494][attachment=2494]Tom,

I can come by your place Sat morning with my coach which is 45.8 and you can measure and we can do any thing you want in trying to figure what you want to do. I don't understand what measurement you want. I have a lift on the back which extended 50 inches.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

ron, look forward to seeing you.

i had a neighbor in mesa go measure from the fiberglass of the back engine door hatch to the bottom of the trailer hitch. it is 6 3/4".

now i just need a simple measurement. that is how far is it from the trailer hitch where it is flush with the engine bay back to the place where the rear tire contacts the ground. i forgot to have my neighbor measure that and now they have left. (oops)

i am assumming if i have my ride height set at 12" and the bottom of the engine door bay is the same height, that i only have 5-6" clearance from the bottom of the trailer hitch to the ground and i have the length from the trailer hitch to the tire, i can calculate the max angle you can go up without dragging and without raising it up.

tom

I would be happy to measure mine but it know it would not be the same since my engine is shorter and my coach is shorter. I don't know that I would assume that the bottom of engine door bay is 12" without measuring that also.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

ron skeen just measured his and it is 100"

now i can do some calculations

thanks all

tom

Tom, I know you wanted measurement and sorry I afraid that since my coach has be setting about 2 weeks it will not be accurate. My drive way has a slant down to the storage and the floor is raised for water drainage away from the doors and as long as do not release air out of the tag, which I have learned not to do anywhere, it want drag.

Ron will be your best bet. Good luck and I'm sure your storage will turn out great. Being you have a large hitch on your coach it might be lower than most of our 10,000 lbs hitch.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Measured our coach and it is approx. 100" from where the tires hit the ground to the back of the coach. It's 11 7/8 from the ground behind the wheels and the bottom of the hitch is 9" from the ground. I'll try to attach a photo of the hitch to an email.

Ed & Lynda Perkins
2002 Newell #638 (4 slides)
Tow 2012 TDI VW Jetta Car
2015 Mazda 6 Sedan
1998 F250 Work Truck
Pontoon boat, 2 John Deere Tractors and a golf cart!!!