You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

replacing disk brake pads

I have an appointment next week in Eugene, Oregon, to have my disk brakes inspected and possibly replace my disk pads which Newell factory said were in need of service. Has anyone had experience with disk pad replacement that they would share?

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Chester,

I have had the rear pads, one rotor and two wheel seals replaced two years ago. This year I had new slide pins with helper springs installed on my Meritor disc brakes. Easy to see pad material thickness with wheel off and feel smoothness of rotor surface.

Simple job for strong backs with heavy impact wrench and jack.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

Chester changed all of mine, got them from prevost same pads much cheaper

Rolleyes Ashley Pardue Coach 589

Chester, When I bought this current coach, the calipers were frozen to the pins and the passenger drive seal was leaking. To change the seal the caliper must be removed. That is a pretty daunting task as the bolts are 20MM, tightened to 340ftlb and sealed with "locktite". I had to make some tooling and along with hydraulic power and heat, the bolts broke loose.

I bought rebuilt calipers from Belgium truck technology for the drives and parts to replace the slide pins on the tag. They were about $380 each for the calipers but the freight is pretty salty. It was still cheaper that Bendix in the USA. My brakes are Knorr Bremese.

Hope this helps!

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

the slide pins on a couple of mine where siezed as well. i had the rear brakes all done and front brakes too if i remember. and one caliper needed rebuilding.

the pad kits for my rear was bendix 5013257.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom, the Bendix kit you referred to, is this the same for each wheel including the tags, thus 4 kits? Did you purchase the kits and then had them installed by someone else or was it a package? Does this kit also work for the front wheels?

I have an appointment next week with a truck brake and alignment firm here in Eugene, but I sure would like to know prices of all of the parts before I commit. Not much I can do about the labor, and they seem very experienced, working now on a Pravot and several motorhomes waiting.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey

chester, i just dont remember and i am not at the coach where i could look. i do believe the pads and calipers are the same front and rear, but dont remember for sure. i think the pads come in a pair (one axle).

if the brakes are in good working order, they are easy to change and i would do it myself. but....mine needed lots of work, and it took special tools to do it.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom, I cannot do this work myself. I found an unknown brand on the internet at $180 for four pads. The shop where I have an appointment next week wants $319 for Frytec brand and $493 for Bendix. Thus for three sets, $540 on the internet, $957 for Frytec, and $1479 for Bendix. I have until Wednesday to decide what to do. Opinions would be appreciated.

Correction, the internet pads for $180 are from Peterbuilt Parts and are listed as Bendix.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey

If the pads on the internet are genuine Bendix that seems like the deal if the shop will install them and guarantee their labor.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.