You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

ideas on venting engine exhaust to outside of garage?

howdy,

got to thinking that i should figure out how to run a hose from the DD exhaust to outside so i can run the engine without getting asphixiated.

any ideas how to do that? and on another note, could someone measure the diameter of their round exhaust downpipe?

was thinking about a small dog or cat door. i cant really run up through the roof, so would need to run outside. and if it is a vent right on the outside of the wall the exhaust would dirty the stucco. if i used a small pet door i could close it up and run a hose out on the ground away from the building a little ways.

ideas on what to use for the hose?

thanks

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

i know i can buy an official garage exhaust hose but they are around a grand and even if i could find it for 500 that is too much. looking for cheap alternative hose

tom

Maybe a small electric fan near the floor that would "shoot" the exhaust through the wall and away from the building?

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Why can't you run a PVC pipe up the inside of the wall and out the roof or soffet and then just connect a small hose from the exhaust to the PVC pipe?

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

I don't want to penetrate roof. No real soffet just curved stucco. Don't want to restrict exhaust and would still need flex hose.

Tom

Not trying to be a smart aleck, but how often do you anticipate running the engine for very long in the garage? Would it not be sufficient to open the door(s) when you do?

You won't need it to raise or lower coach since you will have shop air to coach. Batteries won't need it since you're plugged in.

If you want 100% ventilation, either the hose end will have to seal against the tailpipe, or you will need a fan in the wall to provide neg pressure on the hose.

I have seen two Newell garages with exhaust capability. Arnold Bernard had a 8 inch or so diameter rubber hose run to a fan in the wall. The guy in Fort Worth had a two foot exhaust fan in the wall located about ten feet from the coach.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Tom, the very few times that I have had to run the engine while in the storage, like when I change the oil,etc. I have a expandable metal cloths dryer hose which I connect to the exhaust and run the other end under my storage door. When I run the AH or gen. I just open all the doors.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Tom,
I have had an enclosed bus barn (out house compare to yours) for 15 years. Have two window in back behind bus which is backed in. I open the window and the front door and this has work find. I totally agree with Richard. You still have fumes when you pull in an out and you can not hook to the exhaust when doing this. I would consider putting a big in the wall exhaust fan in the back and just open the front door. This might even help on a hot day. My father had a retail furniture business and this was what AC was back in the days. If you put a dyno in then consider a system then.

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

Hey Tom, I like Ron's dyno idea. You could be the hit of the neighborhood, not to mention the Newell community. John would love that for his race car!

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I was thinking I would install an attic fan in the ceiling of the shop. It should exhaust any fumes quickly and get rid of heat in the summer.
I am also trying to decide the best way to vent generator exhaust because I want to set it up so I can power my house from the generator during power outages. I'd rather not have to open the overhead door during the winter. So far I'm thinking Ill install a through the wall furnace vent pipe connected to a rubber hose that connects to the generator roof exhaust.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.