You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Bamboo Flooring

steve has some good advice. the good thing is that todd is only 400 miles from the rally. i will not have my bedroom done either. just not enough time.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Thanks Tom, just trying to be helpful.
Todd, I haven't seen the rot in the bathroom floor so really don't know how bad it was. I do know that the plywood used in our tank bay appears to be a mahogany that hasn't fared well with water and turned black as described.

Some problems can be solved with a Penetrating Epoxy. I am not a big fan of using this in large areas where the wood obviously should be replaced but in some smaller areas that are hard to get to it does come in helpful. This is so effective that the US Coast Guard allows some repairs using a product like this.

Here is a link you might find helpful, look under wooden boat and then rot repair;
http://www.westsystem.com/ss/

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

I am interested in replacing the carpet in my living room with a wood flooring, probably prefinished cork that goes well with my interior finish. From prior posts, it appears that Ernie Ekberg is the expert, but I do not know where he is located. A good time to have it done may be at Spearfish, but I do not know if anyone that installs these floor will be there or is interested. I will be in Denver for the next three weeks and that is also a good time to do it, as well as the time after Spearfish. If Ernie or someone else in interested please email me at [email protected]. Any comments from gurus would be appreciated.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

my brother in law has a very nice woodshop at his home ina detached garage he would make available to anyone needing it. I have already spoken to him about it. He is retired, but seems to stay in constant motion as a handyman. If he is around i know he will help out as well any way he is able to.

At the rate we are going now i may show with everything ready for the install so maybe there will be two of us workign on that. hoping to make big progress on this long weekend.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

I live in Weatherford, tx, but currently in Dillon, Mt for graduation of oldest grandson from high school

Ernie Ekberg
Bluebird Wanderlodge

Ok today and last night we have got about 5 inches of rain. The area under the sink in the bathroom then under the wall into the room that was rotten was cut out. Under that area of the wall the floor was damp. So it must not be the sink that was leaking. We stripped the wall in the bathroom to paint it and the wood under th window is fine. I cannot tell if the window in the bedroom is leaking but it really was not wet there. So I wonder if I have an issue with the vent for the sink and toilette. Or since this area is also over the wheel well I wonder if water is being thrown up from my drive in the rain and we have some sort of compromise in that area?

Ideas guys?

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

where is Todd? and his remodeling project?

Ernie Ekberg
Bluebird Wanderlodge

Ernie I am long over due for an update so thanks for prodding me. The short answer is that we are done. Thanks to helpful advice from my many Newell friends such as you and special thanks to Tom and Clarke for helping me with some last minute things before the rally. We love the coach. The floor is not Ernie quality since its my first and I did it all by myself, but my wife loves it and that's all that really matters (happily married for 25 years...I am no fool).

I will take some good pics in the next week or so and create a new album. Many at the rally saw it but I think the before and after would really tell the whole story. John Clark from Newell really made us feel good when he came by to look at it and said our coach was one of the nicest of that vintage he has seen and it made his heart warm.

For a recap here is what we did:
-Removed all of the flooring. Put tile in the bathroom and bamboo throughout the rest. Entry way is down with ROPPE treads and risers.
-Painted all the walls
-Recovered all valances
-New captains chairs. Replaced two chairs and kick table with a booth. Recovered jackknife couch in same material as new items.
-Replaced all plumbing fixtures with new brushed nickel pieces
-Rewired every interior light to LED including some with dimmers
-New stereos with wired speakers outside. New TV's with a new satellite.
-New blinds and drapes throughout (wow those are expensive to have made!)
-Replaced all felt window runners in all windows
-Fixed the doorbell!
-New working thermostats
-Installed new smoke alarms and a carbon dioxide alarm

Of course mechanically we are basically new as well with the rebuilt engine and a number if other things. My next bug task is to begin adjusting bay doors so they all close well. Clarke and Tom completed one and it took them several hours so I think that may translate into several days per door for me!

Been a long year but we love the coach.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

Todd.....Tom and I can be hired (hamburgers for Tom, and beer for me)......could meet somewhere with cool climate and finish the bay doors....:-)

Glad to hear you got the doorbell fixed....not too hard I hope.

Did the satellite work for you on your trip?

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

hey, and i can do concrete fences too....(am helping my brotherinlaw in his precast business while we are in canada)

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH