You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New to Forum and Shopping for Right Coach to Full-Time in.

Hello,

I found out about this forum from Rudy Legett. I have been posting for a couple of weeks on the Foretravel Forum and Rudy sent me a PM inviting my wife and me to come meet him and his wife and to show us his Foretravel. We had a wonderful visit with Rudy and Carolyn. Rudy is certainly an advocate for Foretravel but has excellent things to say about Newell (well, in general, who doesn't actually). One thing that Rudy said that struck a cord with me (among many other things he passed on to me in such a short time) was that, considering we are looking for an early-to-mid 2000s coach with slides that we should maybe take a closer look at Newell. We hadn't really considered a Newell due to cost but, given the price range we are going to be in anyway, a Newell is far from a stretch depending on the year.

The following is pretty much the same introduction I posted at www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com so apologies for somewhat of a double-post on two Newell sites. Also, sorry about the long, first post but if I can say everything that needs to be said in 50 words, 500 HAS to be mo' betta!

After 32 years of active service (prior Navy; retired Coast Guard in 2008) I am close to winding down my Coast Guard civilian career and hope to retire for good in 2018. Our current plan is to sell our house early (late 2015/early 2016) and to purchase/live in the coach we intend to go full-timing in until I retire. We have been members of Escapees since 2004 and had always thought that we would buy a Volvo and a fifth wheel (custom New Horizons or Continental).

Over the past year something has changed (can't really put our fingers on it) but we have become more interested in a diesel pusher than in a fiver. We have looked at several 2014 Newmar & Entegra coaches and like them. We have slowly come around to the idea of buying a very nice used DP rather than new so that we can get more bang for our buck and to enter full-timing with something that is not going to be losing 10's of thousands of dollars in depreciation our first few years out.

For the past 5-6 months we have been exploring and researching as much as we can Country Coaches and Foretravels. As metioned above, Rudy suggested that we take a closer look at a Newell. Sooo, now our research moves on to finding out as much as we can about Newells.

We will not be purchasing anything until probably Fall of 2015 so there is plenty of time to compare and contrast the different brands we are considering. In general, we are looking for a 45' with slides and with a 600+ HP engine but will look at a smaller engine depending on weight/HP/torque considerations.

I look forward to reading all the great information on this forum.

Regards,

Larry & Jan Steinmetz

Ex-Navy / Retired Coast Guard CWO w/ 34 Years Total Service.
Goals: 2016 - Sell our house, buy a coach and live in it until retirement. 2018 - Retire for good and hit the road.

BTW, Tom McCloud sent me a personal welcome email and, reading briefly through this forum, I see that he makes this a regular practice. Thanks for the personal welcome Tom...much better than the canned welcomes from most other forums.

Larry & Jan Steinmetz

Goals: 2016 - Sell our house, buy a coach and live in it until retirement. 2018 - Retire for good and hit the road.

Hey Larry,
Larry here to welcome you on board and if you take your time in looking for a Newell , you will find what works for you...

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

Larry, welcome to NewellGurus. Hopefully we can shed light on any questions you might have. We try to be objective, although it is difficult to keep some bias from showing through since most of us are Newell owners.

We always welcome owners of other brands to both participate in the forum and any events. Rudy is a great guy and we consider him a true NewellGuru. Glad he pointed you in our direction.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Welcome Larry & Jan,

I'm sure as you browse thru the post you will come up with some specific questions... Shoot them out and they will be answered to your satisfaction. + some...

Jimmy

(09-07-2014, 03:35 PM)lbrachfe Wrote:  Hey Larry,
Larry here to welcome you on board and if you take your time in looking for a Newell , you will find what works for you...

Always great hearing from another Larry. Little side story...I was at a Friday happy hour gathering at a neighbor's house a few years back where there were at least 30-40 quests. At one time, there were only five us standing in the kitchen (guarding the beer coolers Wink and three of the five were Larry's. In my 58 years I can't recall that every happening...all we needed was a couple of Daryl's and we had the makings of a sitcom! Big Grin

Thanks for the encouraging words about finding a Newell given time. We DO have the time and don't need to rush anything (doesn't meant we aren't anxious though).

Larry & Jan Steinmetz

Finding a coach that can stand up to full time living is a challenge. Newell is one of those coaches that can, and will stand up to full time living whether it be a 1982 like mine, or a 2002 like Tom's.......Oh, and most importantly, WELCOME Larry and Jan!

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

thanks rudy for pointing larry our way. rudy is a valued member and friend.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

(09-07-2014, 03:59 PM)Fulltiming Wrote:  We always welcome owners of other brands to both participate in the forum and any events. Rudy is a great guy and we consider him a true NewellGuru. Glad he pointed you in our direction.

Thank you Michael,

I am not looking at anything other than a Country Coach, Foretravel and a Newell. Through my research and from speaking to Rudy, Country Coach has definitely slipped in the standings and would probably now only be purchased if we found a great coach at an incredible price.

Rudy said that you welcome people with coaches other than Newells and you have definitely confirmed that.

(09-07-2014, 04:02 PM)Ozarkguy Wrote:  Welcome Larry & Jan,

I'm sure as you browse thru the post you will come up with some specific questions... Shoot them out and they will be answered to your satisfaction. + some...

Thanks Jimmy...at this point I am far more the student than the guru so will certainly be asking a lot of questions.

Larry & Jan Steinmetz

(09-07-2014, 04:49 PM)whatsnewell Wrote:  Finding a coach that can stand up to full time living is a challenge. Newell is one of those coaches that can, and will stand up to full time living whether it be a 1982 like mine, or a 2002 like Tom's.

At the end of the day, that is the number one important thing to us. There are certain features we definitely would like to have in a coach but, to use Rudy's term, the "bones" of the coach is the most important initial consideration.

Larry & Jan Steinmetz