You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

My Bad

I HATE oil spots on the driveway so you can imagine how thrilled I was to see a BIG LONG oil stain on the driveway several weeks ago under the Newell. I didn't notice it until after I moved the Newell to a nearby RV Park but it didn't look like it came from under the engine. It looked like it was near the rear wheels. Anyway, I bought it back home again a few days ago and, you guessed it, another BIG LONG oil stain on the driveway. This time I was able to confirm that it was coming from near the passenger side rear tire.

So I start looking for what could possibly be leaking and I find it. I opened the bay behind the tag axle and the compartment was floating in clean oil. I had (HAD is the operative word) a gallon plastic jug of Detroit Diesel 40 Wt oil in that bay with a battery charger, air compressor and a few other things. The plastic jug was wedged in and apparently got a small split in it and slowly leaked out the entire gallon of oil which then slowly dripped out of the bay onto the driveway. It hadn't leaked out at the RV park because I was able to level the coach. My driveway has enough slope that the front of the coach is lower and the oil in the rear bay found a way out at the front outside edge of the bay.

Mystery solved. Kitty Litter has helped reduce that magnitude of the stain but it is still there. Any ideas better than kitty litter or pressure washing the drive to get rid of the remainder of the oil stains? HINT: We are talking about two stains, each a foot wide and over 6 feet long.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

much better to find out a big oil leak is just leaky oil out of a jug than to find it leaking out of the engine or tranny.

glad you found it

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Michael you are not alone.....

Cynthia and I were "camped" at the beautiful Las Vegas Motorcoach Resort. Roads are pristine blacktop and sites are concrete. Everything is just so new and clean and we want it to stay that way. There were five swimming pools ( I think ) and a workout center. Well I am in the Newell probably checking out the WiFi and Cynthia is working out at the fitness center. When she returns she doesn't look so happy and says, "Dad, there is something leaking under the Newell". Well, that gets my attention and sure enough, there is a pool of reddish liquid under the coach on the passenger side behind the wheels. Oh No! I do not need major trouble so far from home. It sure looks like transmission fluid, but is not exactly under the transmission. Well by now, you know that I store my fluids in the same compartment you do. The narrow one right behind the tag axle seems perfect for that purpose. I had needed to remove a few quarts of transmission fluid after a shop had overfilled and couldn't bring myself to just throw them away, so I pumped the extra into a plastic container ( okay - a clean milk container - I know I am an idiot at times ) and it had just decided to split open in Vegas. I cleaned the whole mess up, even going to Home Depot to purchase concrete cleaner, and left the site looking like new. I feel better now that this is out in the open.

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Maybe the rest of us can learn a lesson from you two guys.

Save a few old original plastic containers for possible use later.

I change my own oil, so I save the plastic gallon jugs that they come in. I put the old dirty oil back into the plastic gallons to facilitate transport to Auto Zone for disposal.

Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2005 Honda Pilot

(09-08-2012, 10:33 PM)encantotom Wrote:  much better to find out a big oil leak is just leaky oil out of a jug than to find it leaking out of the engine or tranny.

glad you found it

tom

I agree Tom.....disappointing, but what a relief it wasn't coming from the engine, or axle, etc. I like Tuga's idea, but being in continual travel mode, and storage space being at a premium, I would have to ask Elaine to hold any extra oil jugs in her lap....Big Grin

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

This does give me a "heads up". I will be looking for or making a Tray for my Oil Storage.

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

I guess I'm the smart one here (better make that the lucky one). I keep my oil and other liquid jugs in a plastic box, the kind you can get at lowes or walmart, I think it might be rubbermaid brand.
Of course I always learn best from my own experiences....

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

since the oil in my 90 was the straight 40w like michaels, and it is hard to find, i always carried some. what i did was to go to a boat shop and get a 2 1/2 gallon plastic opaque plastic oil/gas can. it is exactly the same as a red heavy plastic gas can, only opaque so you can see what is in it better. it has the pour spout and all and fits nicely in the compartment and wont tip over since it is squatty.

something you might consider.

tom

"opaque so you can see what is in it better"

Well that is interesting...

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

yea, more than my original comment which doesnt make much sense when i read it now either.....since it is a different color can, you cant mistake it for gas.....

is that one better?

tom