You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Should I keep driving?

Well it's my turn. I've been having an issue with the engine running hot since I left the rally. Had to stop a few times on I-70 to cool down. Crossed Hoosier pass with no problems, a few other passes ok but hotter than it should be. Left Alamosa, CO this morning and crossed LaVeta pass ok, temp got to 212 degrees. But on I-25 crossing Raton Pass I had to pull over twice to cool down. Also noticed the engine only putting out 17 psi max boost pressure. Before this it was putting out 24+ psi. I'm blowing a lot of black smoke also. The Detroit prodriver is not showing any codes and the VMSpc is also not showing any error codes.
I have an appointment in Lufkin to have the engine and radiator checked and repaired if necessary on Monday.
My question is this: we're in Amarillo for a couple days but is it safe to continue driving to Nacogdoches?
I'll check the engine oil and coolant level once it cools down.
Other than the engine temps and the loss of boost pressure the engine is running ok.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Forest, assuming there has been no loss of either coolant or oil, it should be safe since there are no mountains that I am aware of between Amarillo and Lufkin. There should be a lot of rain coming your way from the Mexican hurricane, so hopefully the air will be cooler. If you feel uncomfortable, I would find the Detroit dealer in Amarillo and have him take a look.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Did any check engine warning indicators go off?

We went through CO this summer up passes and were close to same temp as you. I didn't receive any warnings and engine was operating normal otherwise. I would have been more concerned but my brother who has a 2000 Prevost w/Det Diesel (I'm working on converting him to Newell but he thinks he is a touring rock starSmile and was also running almost exact same temp in same conditions. This happened to be a very hot day in CO so the ambient air temp didn't help. When we stopped the only thing I noticed was the coolant was over full and leaking very slightly. It has never re occurred so I attribute it to the higher elevation and high temp.

Does the black smoke occur any other time? I wonder if the smoke might be unrelated?

Jason 
-----------------------------
Previous owner of 2013 #1472
Previous 2003 #665 triple slide
1 wife
2 kids
Lots of stuff

Turbo should spool up higher than 17 and black smoke all the time is not good. I would talk to DD in Amarillo before you push too far ....

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

Check for a boost leak or bad boost sensor. I think lower boost may be causing black smoke (unburned fuel) if those two events coincide.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Forest, there are no hills to speak of between Amarillo and Nacogdoches. There is a Cat and a Freighliner place there in Amarillo . I have used them both through the years but not with Newell. If you can make it to Bernd in Nacogdoches he will be able to repair whatever should be wrong. If no check engine light comes on I don't know what to tell you to do other than use your own judgement. Why don't you call Bernd and talk to him.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Keep a real close eye on temp Forest. If in doubt, remember 25-30K for complete series 60 engine replacement. I wish I had been like you & just pulled over sooner when ours started to overheat. Even though it looks like in retrospect it was only a half mile or so that caused the real terminal damage.

The check engine light did come on but only because the coolant temp got to 220. Not showing any other codes. I'll check all the fluids in the morning. I'm thinking the low boost is related to the black smoke, not enough air so the fuel is not being burned completely.
BTW I did change the air filter in Creede.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Hey just so you know Richard is in okc tonight and will be spending the night InAmarillo tomorrow. I talked to him today when he came through van Buren. He may have some assistance.Smile

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

One other thing there is a good dd shop here in van Buren. Don't know if you are coming back on 40 but they have treated me very fair. I can get you an appointment you need one.

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701