You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Slide operation?

We just acquired coach #795 (4 slide front entry) and what to know if there is a certain order used to extend or retract the slides, and if so what is the reason for the special order.

Vic & Judy Rebmann
2007 Newell # 795
2011 Ford Edge Tow

First of all the factory says to extend slides while still in travel mode. This is especially important for the older HWH slides. But since you have Valid slides, it is not quite as important, but still a best practice. So you extend the slides, then level the coach.

A bit of trivia for you...The slides are numbered counter clockwise starting at the driver slide.
1 front driver,
2 rear driver,
3 rear passenger,
4 front passenger.

As far as the order, it is personal preference but try the two fronts followed by two rears, or vice versa.

The only thing to avoid is 1-3 followed by 2-4. This would put an unnecessary twist on the frame. Another way of saying this is to avoid having the diagonal slides deployed with the other two in.

Welcome aboard the Newell Gurus!

cheers,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Thanks Bill..that makes sense but the tech that did our orientation had a definite order. I failed to write it down and I've slept since then and it's gone. Don't see why it would make a difference other then with the restrictions you mentioned.
Thanks again for the quick reply.

Vic & Judy Rebmann
2007 Newell # 795
2011 Ford Edge Tow

Newell recommends the back ones first.

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

Marc,

Why would you think they recommend that? I usually do the back ones first anyway, but I can't see what difference that would make.

bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

I think since most of the weight is near the back of the coach it would make sense to put them out first too minimize any torque further down the frame. Then do the furthest ones last

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

The Salon slide is the heaviest by far and the rear slides are always shorter and far less weight.

Always extend and retract in "Travel" mode ONLY, with the coach running and level the coach after they are all extended. Closing up is the same process.

Lastly, when you have started the extend or retract process, do NOT let go off the button until the red light goes out or you will have an incomplete deployment and the locks and seal may not trigger.

We sometimes do the front first and sometimes the rear and in 4 years and 100k miles has never made a difference.

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

To the uninformed, it seems counterintuitive to extend slides BEFORE leveling. Especially considering torque on the frame possibly being greater with a slide out depending upon the lean from being un-level.

Would it make a difference if the coach were extremely un-level and one was to extend the slides?

Could one of you explain?

Thanks!

Jason 
-----------------------------
Previous owner of 2013 #1472
Previous 2003 #665 triple slide
1 wife
2 kids
Lots of stuff

I ,too, fail to understand the logic. If you are parked where the left rear is in a hole, in the travel mode the HCV's would seem to me to put twist in the frame as they try to keep the axle to frame distance constant. Leveling with HWH or similar system I think would take that twist out. Obviously something is going on that I can't conjure given the Factory recommendation. An explanation of how I'm wrong would be deeply appreciated.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Jason & Jon,

I agree with your thoughts, but I have been over this many times with the factory. They are firm in their recommendation to do the slide work in travel mode. Maybe Richard or someone else can give the theory.

Larry is right on the HWW, but on coach 975 (with Valid slides) there are no locking pins. The seal situation is almost the same as HWW, and includes the vacuum assist to flatten the seals.

Larry's recommendation to do slide work with engine running is also right on. I now have a routine where I land on my spot and leave engine on. Walk around the coach to check for obstructions and plug in the shore power. Next, I put out the slides, then level the coach. After I have all this done I shut down the engine and put up the satellite. One all this is done, the dogs get to go out.

I am sure there are other opinions out there...but this is mine! Smile

cheers,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama