You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Campground search engines

Yes Home Depot does allow as long as there is no local ordinance and the same applies to Walmart. I like truckstops too Clint, but only if there is some grass for our dog somewhere.lol Hows Fran doing BTW ? Hope you are both getting excited about getting back in the coach soon.

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

Thanks for your kind thoughts Larry. Fran is still improving daily. She is doing some of the cooking & household chores again! As for being exited about getting back in the coach, check the update on the 8V92 Hybrid overheating thread.

We are in Petoskey and at nightly "cocktail hour" the subject of parking at truck stops came up

Turns out one of the couples here had stopped at a truck stop (which they have been doing forever) on there way here

They were parked between trucks not at an end of a row

Two guys with guns jumped them out of site of anyone because they had trailers/trucks on both sides of them and worked them over and got roughly $100k plus in jewelry and money from them

Long story short, probably don't want to park among trucks but rather at end or away from where you can be seen and not be caught on a blindspot

That's terrible. And a lot of money/jewelry. I don't think they'd be to happy robbing me as they probably would have got $17 cash and an old beat up wedding band.

Were the criminals caught and was there any justice served?

Jason 
-----------------------------
Previous owner of 2013 #1472
Previous 2003 #665 triple slide
1 wife
2 kids
Lots of stuff

Or carry a good pistol!

Two points. I have stayed overnight in many Cracker Barrel parking lots, and since I travel in Mexico, a gun is out of the question. However, I do carry pepper spray and wasp spray. I have not had the courage to stay in a highway rest stop.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

darlene and i have stayed at a number of highway rest stops. but i avoid truck stops because of the noise. i particulary remember one highway rest stop on the side of I40 in new mexico where we spent the night and it smelled bad. we got there late at nite and had pulled right next to a stinky dumpster....ha

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I guess I should stay out of Mexico then as I have enough guns and rifles on board to scare a small cartel!

Jason 
-----------------------------
Previous owner of 2013 #1472
Previous 2003 #665 triple slide
1 wife
2 kids
Lots of stuff

I recently learned a lesson about Walmart. Some of the newer (it seems) Walmarts have installed gates to keep the truckers out. They are about 10' tall and usually painted yellow. They allow cars and SUVs to enter but are obviously designed to keep anything taller out. (They may just be enforcing local ordinances but can mess you up if you are counting on staying there).

I have started using Google street view to see what the ingress / egress path looks like. I really like knowing where I am going before I get there!

I agree with Tom and Chester. Truck stops are too noisy, smelly, and dangerous for me. Cracker Barrels have been good in my experience. (I always ask to speak to manager and promise to eat dinner and breakfast if they let me stay overnight). They always have. Be warned though that not all CBs have truck / RV parking.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Wasp spray works better than anything for non lethal protection and most spray cans can shoot the poison 20 feet or more, to keep you from getting to close to nests and heights. I know of a time this was used and the bad guy was blinded in one eye permanently....

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border