You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Coach Weights

I am still working my way through figuring out vehicle weight capacities. With us wanting to full-time in whatever coach we buy I want to make sure that we have a well-built, adequately powered coach that will have reserve capacity to carry our stuff.

I came across an article at http://www.fmcmagazine.com/back-issues/2...heels.html that said the following:

"One more item that I need to note concerns the coach's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), which is 55,000 pounds. The as-tested weight of this particular coach was 54,140 pounds when weighed with a full tank of fresh water (160 gallons) and a full fuel tank (256 gallons). This left 860 pounds for passengers and cargo. In addition, the actual front and drive axle weights were right at the threshold of their ratings."

This was a 2003 45' Quad Slide. I'm curious how many Newell coaches have that small of a cargo carrying capacity or is it just due to the custom build and how the owners had it spec'd out.

Sorry in advance if this has already been beaten to death.

Larry & Jan Steinmetz

Ex-Navy / Retired Coast Guard CWO w/ 34 Years Total Service.
Goals: 2016 - Sell our house, buy a coach and live in it until retirement. 2018 - Retire for good and hit the road.

Larry

Thank you for your service to our country. I was told by Newell when I picked my coach up that I had in excess of 6,000 lbs I could load up. They weigh each coach at the plant. I have not yet put it on the scales fully loaded myself. Newell knows the weight of each coach as it left the plant. I am not sure what the capacity would be on other coaches or if had been a problem. It is a well known fact of H coaches espically with slides.

Doug and Melanie Matz
2015 45 Bunk Coach 1517
Toad Ford Flex

(09-21-2014, 11:07 AM)Dmatz Wrote:  Larry

Thank you for your service to our country. I was told by Newell when I picked my coach up that I had in excess of 6,000 lbs I could load up. They weigh each coach at the plant. I have not yet put it on the scales fully loaded myself. Newell knows the weight of each coach as it left the plant. I am not sure what the capacity would be on other coaches or if had been a problem. It is a well known fact of H coaches espically with slides.

Thank you...I appreciate your comment regarding my service!

I'm fairly certain I would have no issues with 6000 lbs! Wink Guess I'll have to play it by ear, coach-by-coach, when we get really serious about looking for one next Spring/Summer.

Can't post without saying how absolutely beautiful your new coach is...very, very nice!

Larry & Jan Steinmetz

Goals: 2016 - Sell our house, buy a coach and live in it until retirement. 2018 - Retire for good and hit the road.

We are 50,540 lbs fully loaded with water, fuel, the two of us and our dog, but this means nothing to you unless you are looking at 2 slide HWH coaches with the same equipment and stuff as me.

ALL Newells are different and different weights depending on year, slides, length, and equipment ......

Have your coach weighed if you are concerned, but don't rely on weight numbers from any other coach other than your own or one around the same year similarly equipped

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

Thanks Larry...something I would certainly do...just looking for general comments as I have read on other sites (probably IRV2) that many motorhomes (and they included new/old luxury models) tended to not have much delta on weights. When I read the old article that I referenced in my first post, this reminded me of what I had read so thought I would ask if this is a case-by-case or if it is the rule rather than the exception.

Larry & Jan Steinmetz

When you find your coach, no matter the brand. We are all here to help you avoid and /or understand reality of value and condition from afar. Just remember to post any coach number you have interest in and photos in and out and at least one of us will know the coach or can guide you through an inspection. We have Guru's stationed nationwide ready to help our "friends".

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

(09-21-2014, 09:11 PM)lbrachfe Wrote:  When you find your coach, no matter the brand. We are all here to help you avoid and /or understand reality of value and condition from afar. Just remember to post any coach number you have interest in and photos in and out and at least one of us will know the coach or can guide you through an inspection. We have Guru's stationed nationwide ready to help our "friends".

Thanks Larry...will do. No doubt, you guys certainly have an incredible and valuable network going on here!

Larry & Jan Steinmetz

I don't think this has been mentioned in this thread, so I will throw it in for completeness. Michael can chime in and give us the exact years but Newell transitioned from 315 tires to 365 tires on the front end sometime around 2007/2008. This greatly increases the margin and load capacity of the coaches. A lot of older coaches have since been retrofitted from the 315s to 365s. My coach is a 2003 and already had the 365s when I bought it.

The 318s are safe as long as you carry the right amount of air pressure. The 365s can ride a little softer while maintaining safe load capacity. There is a Michelin document somewhere on this site that will advise of the proper air pressure for the amount of weight.

I think a person could reasonably say that if a coach has the 365s weight is not an issue. Also, if you keep the 315s aired up then they are safe as well.

None of this has anything to do with engine horsepower / torque. I would say that ALL Newells built in the past two decades have enough power for all but the most demanding of applications.

Cheers,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Bill, I think you mean the "315" tire. Newell recommends running them at 130 psi. They also recommend replacing them every three years on the front instead of five with the "365".

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

Yes, Steve you are right! 315 it is! oops.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama