You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

I just read in the Oct. Family Motor Coaching Magazine that Michelin has expanded their Advantage program to include BF Goodrich and Uniroyal. I am running BF Goodrich on my tag and will more than likely on my drive axial when I need them. I prefer Michelin on the steer. This program also includes light truck and Passenger car tires also. I understand that BF Goodrich and Uniroyal are owned by Michelin.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Chappel, I am curious why you would prefer Goodrich on the back and not Michelins. Is there a technical reason or a personal preference? I recently replaced all of the rear 315s with Michelins and consider the Advantage pricing to be very reasonable.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

I'm curious too Chappell..

I just bought all new Michelins and even though the other tire company's may be owned by them the compounds and production of Michelin X are very different than the other companies. What do you know that we should ?

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

I did it because they were cheaper. You will never wear them out so why pay more. My tires are R11 24.5 which are truck tires so why should I buy Michelin and pay more. BF Goodrich will last 5 or 6 years, so why should I waste money on Michelin which were $100.00 more.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

I have a goal now that I'm retired. I want to wear out, instead of time out, a set of tires.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard, I don't really know how safe that will be, for me anyway. I guess if you can put as many miles as a trucker does in a year you will be OK. I would have a hard time putting several hundred thousand miles a year on my MH.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Chester my steer tires are 315 22.5 but my drive and tags are 11R 24.5 which are truck tires, that is the reason that I prefer BF Goodrich. Not only that, 11R 24.5 in Michelin that size only goes to load rate H and the BF Goodrich can go to J rating which is a 21 ply tire. If my Newell took 315s or 365s I would probably go all around with Michelin because those sizes are MH tires. I do think you pay extra for the name Michelin.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

In my case (29,000 GVW) I would have to agree with Chappell.....I replaced my steer tires last March and the tire guy asked me why I was replacing almost new tires (they had over 40,000 miles on them). When I told him they were 6 years old he said "got it". They looked like they could go another 40,000 miles. I'll be replacing the drive tires in a couple of months when I get home to SoCal and they will have over 40,000 miles on them by that time. I did have to replace one of them prematurely in April due to the tread on the inside right tire beginning to separate, but the other 3 still look brand new. They will be six years old in October.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Me too Richard!

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

I like Richards goal also, but I don't think my tires will last 12 to 15 years driving only around 8,000 miles a year. What a waste to have to give up good treads.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot