You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Re-power?

Ok, I met with cat today and they pulled the service records from the previous owner of my 74. Not what I wanted to hear but what I expected. 1160 Cat Engine is worn, pistons and rings are shot, blow by is 480 CFM, parts cost more than a new engin, fuel pump parts are not available, etc. on a good note all the external parts of he engine were replaced in 06-06-2011. Including hoses, belts, alternator, water pump, etc.

I am burning about half a gallon of oil per 500 miles. I can handle this for now.

Do I repair what I have or do I re-power? Going to be about the same cost. Re-power is going to be easier and less of a headache.

Suggestions, what has been done before, who has re-powered and with what? Seen a couple cummins. Just looking for suggestions and experence?

We're going to have fun and run her for now until she can't go anymore. Not going to damage anything more unless the fuel pump timing gets off.

Thanks,
Roy...

1974 35' Newell Coach, Cat 1160 with Allison Auto 6 Speed... 69 Camaro 396 SS, 2010 Camaro SSRS Hennessey, 72 Buick Electra, Eastern Iowa.

Roy, did they show the bottom end rebuild at Houston Cat? Should have been in 05' maybe. There were receipts showing extensive work?

No luck in getting the paperwork from the previous owner???

Have you considered the 3208? Later version of the 1160. There were turbo n non- turbo should be plenty of those around.. I believe Newell installed a few of them. You could ask them.

I'm sure you checked the salvage suppliers. Saw this http://www.truckparts.org/part_type/truc...04066.html

Ford installed both the engines in trucks. Lots of marine applications. Someone surly has some parts on the shelf for the pump...

Jimmy

Roy, if you do decide to repower I have alot of info and suggestions to help you along. The mechanic that did my 76 is near Pierce city MO. He has done alot of these and works very reasonably. Might be an option for you.

Love old schoolHeart
1976 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd
1977 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd

Roy, You can try PC industries in Afton,WY. I don't have a number on hand but Randy there was more than helpful.

I had a 1160 in my 73 and it was definitely 'light' on power. Your easiest re-power would be to drop a turbo 3208 CAT in, your recently replaced 'hoses, belts, alternator, water pump, etc.' will probably all work. With this option you will have more horsepower, easy swap, and an outdated motor.

Going with the Cummins 8.3 will require more work but will give you a more sale-able, economic and modern solution. You should talk to Keith (Retro), he did one himself and had one done by a mechanic.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

I'm not a big 3208 fan.

The block is pretty much like a car block - no liners or sleeves, so one is limited on rebuilds, if that was ever necessary. Plus, they are kinda a high RPM diesel best I remember, so you'd need to insure the rear axle had the correct gear ratio.

marc & shari popejoy
western Oklahoma
1987 Newell #135

If I recall, the 3208 in the marine version had only three piston rings, and was basically a throw away in any problem developed.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Correct me if I'm wrong..which is highly possible. Your 74 with the 250 hp 1160 has a six speed Allison with a retarder.. As I remember 1st was really low ..the diff is geared for that.. The Cummings used a 5 speed and the Detroit used a 4 speed.. The reason I suggested the 3208 is because of less doings to make it work. You might even be able to squeeze in the turbo model to kick up the HP. That 1160 has about 125k miles on it and is also a throw away... How many miles do you figure you'll put on the new engine. There might also be a issue on space as the 1160 dimension is different I believe.

Ok ..I'm full of it.. I know..

Jimmy

The 1160 and 3208 are both 10.4L V8s. I can't find much information online for the 1160, but I think the dimensions are the same. According to this post, the blocks are interchangeable : http://forum.aths.org/PrintTopic82193.aspx

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Thanks for the info. If we go with this I will be doing he swap myselfe.

I have had several 3208's turbo and non in Stigers and other equipment. They are the same short block as the 1160 until the latter models. In my opinion they are a throw away. Non sleeved, they have two, three or four rings depending on age. They run about the same rpm without the turbo, with the turbo you can push a couple hundred more rpm out of them. The 1160 was the first production v8 diesel from cat, the 3200 series is the updated block, fuel and electrical systems. They were designed for marine and stationary use according to Cat History. They were adapted to other uses because they were affordable and a "bolt on application".

Jimmy is right, the 3208 would be the easiest swap, non turbo is the same dimensions without the fuel system. Just change out the engine and make several smaller upgrades. A Cummins would require a transmission, gear change or tranny adapter plate I would need to remount the engine and have some custom work done.

Jimmy, were hoping to go on three trips next year. The Newell Rally, local camping, Estes Park to visit family and Myrtle Beach for a wedding on the east coast. Around 9000 miles next year, if everything is a go.

No luck getting ahold of the previous owner yet but cat gave me all the invoices from his repairs. Right on the invoice they state that blow by is 680 CFM. I was taught blowby should not be higher than rated hp. I can isolate 80% of the blowby down to the left side of the engine second or third cylinder.

I'm just doing my research for now. I might do something this winter or have my ducks in a row so if I have a castrophic failure I can be ready to go with it.

Thanks,
Roy...

1974 35' Newell Coach, Cat 1160 with Allison Auto 6 Speed... 69 Camaro 396 SS, 2010 Camaro SSRS Hennessey, 72 Buick Electra, Eastern Iowa.