You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Yanmar fuel help

Hi guys
We're on our maiden voyage since I started the remodel. We are in West Virginia at the moment. The fuel solenoid on the 20k yanmar won't open. I can start it by holding it open and it will stay running. I'm guessing I need a new fuel solenoid. Can somebody help with a part number. I may try to buy one and change it in the rest stop. Thx

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

It might also be the "fire extinguisher system". If the extinguisher is low on charge it will prevent the fuel solenoid from working. You might be able to "hot" wire directly to the fuel solenoid to get you by in emergency. But, be sure to watch gen engine guages closely if you do. We have the 12.5K Kohler with Yanmar engine. Trying to get a fuel solenoid for it was a REAL pain. Long wait times on back order. It turned out to be fire suppression system once and a small $5 diode that I thought was just a connector the 2nd time. If solenoid works with "hot" wire, you will need to run down wiring to see where the actual trouble is.

HD,
Since you provided no model or engine number here are a few choices that may help...................

http://www.amazon.com/YANMAR-Shutdown-So...B00B3PL8TI

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I was jet able to get numbers.
4tn82 te -61

Engine # 02388

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

I've had that happen to me more then once Dean. Each time I held the plunger long enough for it to keep running by itself. I'm not positive, but I had always thought That the problem was caused by low voltage which is needed to hold the solenoid open. Martin Diesel is on your way home if you feel like stopping there. They built those gennys and have serviced my Yanmar each time it was needed. They are excellent and very reasonable. Their Phone# is 419-782-9911

94 Newell #365, 2009 Smart, 2005 500SL, 2012 ML350, 1934 Ford Streetrod Golf Cart, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc. Car and Boat CrazyTongue

If your solenoid has three wires, red/black/white, the black & red are the hold in coil. The white is the pull in coil. If you can, look for voltage on the red & black while the plunger is depressed and engine running. even a test light will work. If no voltage then follow the "fire extinguisher" safety. They interrupt the negative to the coil with a pressure switch on the extinguisher which will be open when depleted. As mentioned, sometimes there is a bad connection to that loop. Newell used a four pin trailer connector on most.

If you have voltage then it is your solenoid, I keep them in stock and can UPS red one if you like.

Hope this helps and not too late.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

Ok. The black appears to go to ground. The white goes to the engine shutdown relay. I replaced the relay to no avail. The red is not hooked up. I jumpered 12v to the white wire with no response from the fuel solenoid. This was done with the engine cranking but not running. (in the rain!)
FOLLOW-UP: I'm embarrassed to admit that I failed to secure a ground to the black wire from the fuel solenoid resulting in my erroneous conclusion that the solenoid was bad.

The P/N is 129155-66800

I think the coil is open according to your tests. I have one in stock and Martin Diesel has 2 in stock.

The only way to get it to run is to tie the plunger back but you will be running without safeties and must untie to stop the engine.

Larry posted Martin's # , & mine is 614-271-7488 (cell).

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

Thanks Gordon and fellow gurus. When u say coil ... Is that the plunger mechanism connected to the fuel pump? I referred to it as the fuel solenoid but may be mid-naming it. If I hold it open until the engine is running it will stay on.

I'm sorry, it is technical talk for the wire wrapped in a circle forming a coil. when energized, it produces a magnetic field and draws the plunger in. Technically that is a solenoid. In your case you are dealing with what Yanmar calls a "stop solenoid" and it is connected to the injection pump rack.

If you keep the plunger inside the coil the rack will be in the run position and the governor will assume engine speed duties. Once the plunger is out of the "coil" or housing of the stop solenoid the rack goes to NO fuel position.

The lift pump is the little pump that brings fuel to the injection pump.

Forgive me if i sound condescending, just want us to be on the same page.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567