You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Oiled batteries

I just bought 2 new 8D house batteries. A while back I read an article in FMCA about adding mineral oil to batteries. If I recall, about 4 oz per cell. Is anyone here running "oiled" batteries? What are experiences if so?

I have done that in the past. Sure stops out gassing and needing to add water.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

I would check w the battery mfg probably void any warrenty you may have on the new battery. Just a thought.

Jimmy

I have heard it's great for old batteries, so I guess "Warranty" would not apply. I have also heard conflicting explanations of the amount to use, but that it reduces electrolyte consumption.... I would try it when my batteries are starting to suck up too much distilled and too often. Heard to use a an eye dripper worth from one guy and a teaspoon per cell from a tech, but wouldn't want to take that to the bank as it's liable to be a with drawl.....

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

I found the article in an old FMCA that was laying underneath a pile on the coffee table. I couldn't remember where I had put it! It referenced 4 oz of mineral oil in each cell. I will give it a try and report any negative results here.

It's a pretty simple concept. Oil floats on the water. The water or electrolyte bubbles when the battery is charging. The bubbling causes a mist. The cap is supposed to condense the mist. The oil simply cuts down on the mist. The problem is the you must ensure that the electrolyte always stays above the plates. Allow it to dip below the plates and the oil will coat the plate rendering that portion of the plate useless

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Just browsing and noticed mineral oil discussion.   I added 4oz in new batteries 2 yrs.  ago and plates have remained covered since.  I've checked them regularly and I believe in that application!

Tony Van Helden
2003 Newell #646 2 slide
Tow 2017 Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk
Citroen Charleston  2cv
Spencer, Iowa (summers)
Mesa, Az. (winters)

Have had no problems with mine since 2014. Cuts water consumption drastically.