You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Forgot to turn off diesel aqua hot

As you know my mechanizing skills are not real good. I parked 701 almost 2 weeks ago plugged her in and in advertantly turned on the diesel aqua hot. Went back tonight discovered the error. Question is does it burn all the time or is there a temp sensor that turns it off and on? Also is power to the aqua hot supplied by the coach or house batteries?

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

The Aqua Hot has a temperature sensor so when it reaches temperature it will shut down the diesel burner. As the temperature slowly decreases, even without use for hot water or heating, the diesel burner will be ignited again. The Aqua Hot should be powered by your house batteries.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Marc,

With electric switch OFF, diesel switch ON, the burner will burn till the 16 gallon heater coolant tank is up to temp. Burner uses 1/2 gallon diesel per hour when burning. Takes 20 to 30 minutes to bring the tank coolant from ambient to full temp. When pulling in and shutting down, the tank is hot from the engine coolant loop.

With interior thermostats OFF and no hot water being used, the coolant looses temp very slowly as the tank is insulated. I think the burner would recover the slowly cooling tank once or twice each day running for 10 to 15 minutes each time.

BUT, the basement thermostat is always ON, so if stored in really cool to cold conditions, the burner will come on a few times each day to keep basement at 40 to 50 degrees F.

With you in the coach using interior heat and hot water, the burner will use 2 to 3 gallons of diesel in cold conditions to 3 to 4 gallons in frigid conditions.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

It was mostly 80-90 lows in the 50-60 . I had all the thermostats real low. I figured I probably burned 20-30 gallons in 2 weeks? Sound right.?

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

Marc

The desil heat uses house batteries to provide power to burn desil. With the coach plugged in the Chargers will keep the batteries up. The electric heaters on the aquahot uses generator or shore power. This is my understanding. A check list to leave coach and or stor cach would be good.

Doug and Melanie Matz
2015 45 Bunk Coach 1517
Toad Ford Flex

If you had the electric elements on, then the diesel burner should have never fired up. If the electric elements were off, then as Rudy has said, it fired some, but not too much.

06 M450LXi 3 slide