You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

110 compressor

Not to snitch this thread, but my 110 has a poltergeist in it. If I don't kill the leveling system, the 110 compressor will run and run and run until it quits. During the time the pressure is 120 psig, so the 90 psi cutoff for the pump is somehow bypassed by the HWH leveling logic. The pump eventually shuts off and will not restart. If I leave if off for an hour, and then turn it back on, it functions normally.

Is this weird? Do any of you know of logic in the HWH system that would cause this?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

The shut down & restart after an hour cool down is probably the thermal protection in the motor.

Richard, it is my thinking that the 12 volt HWH leveling system should have nothing to do with and be independent of the 110 volt compressor system. I would start by confirming that there is only one wire going from the air pressure switch to the compressor. If more than one, then there is a potential override somewhere. I would start by replacing the pressure switch which on my coach is located in the front curbside bay near the air tank.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Richard that compressor was new in January. I believe Newell will cover it for a year.. If they send you a new one. I'll take that one.. It fits my coachSmile

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

I think Chester is onto something. On my coach if you press an HWH button to manually raise the coach the 110v compressor will come on as long as the button is pressed. But that's all I know....

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

I don't think there is anything wrong with the compressor or the switch. They both work as they should. I was commenting that the compressor behaves differently when the HWH system is in leveling mode, and that behavior is tripping the thermal overload on the compressor motor, I think. Forest just confirmed some similar behavior with the HWH system turning on the compressor.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Ok just wanted you to know it was new . In case there was something wrong with it

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

I am NOT a expert on the HWH leveling system but I do know this tidbit:
When in leveling mode (or raise as well) the air is exhausted first then air is added in an attempt to obtain level. When air is added, the compressor is turned on by the HWH, even while the main engine is running and pumping air. (at least on 567). I question whether the pressure switch is in the circuit during the HWH control.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

Just an FYI. My 110 v air compressor is a Gast . I got rebuild kit from Isaacs Fluid Power, ph. 888 336-8501
Price was $100.00

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

I couldn't leave the HWH ghost control of the compressor alone. I found two contactors in my generator blower bay. One is the "well pump" switch which turns the aux compressor on and off with pressure. The second has a trigger wire coming from somewhere. I am guessing the HWH system. The contactors are wired in parallel, which allows the HWH to over ride the pressure switch. If I were truly OCD, I would enable the level system and confirm the contactor closes.

So this explains a mystery to me. If you recall I blew a tag air bag in September right after parking. The slope of the pad had the coach head down tail up. As discussed earlier, as long as the HWH system is in active level the aux compressor will run. The mystery was why the brake air gauges were pegged at 150. A Ha! I think the compressor which is capable of in excess of 150 psig contiunued to run and inflate the rear bags trying to raise the coach. On my coach there is no regulation of the air pressure coming out of the aux compressor. The air bag exploded. Examination of the bag did not show any age cracks or other obvious causes.

I make a point of this to warn others that there may be the potential of over inflating an air bag if the coach is parked on a slope AND you allow the HWH system to run for an extended period.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad