You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

110V Compressor Run Time

I have been curious to know the time my 110V compressor runs while the coach is in storage. I installed an hour meter on the compressor and it ran 11% of the time the first day in level mode. I will do this over time to get an accurate figure, I will change it to travel mode to see if there is a change, and I will time a run to determine how many times it comes on per day. This may give me an idea of the extent of air leaks.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Mine runs about 6 minutes when it hits the low pressure. If yours is similar, that would be 26 times or once every 1.1 hours or kicking in about every 60 minutes after the 6 minutes that the pump is running.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Mine has consistently been cycling every 65 minutes since I replaced a bad check valve. Used to cycle every 47 minutes before the replacement. The compressor runs for 3 minutes plus or minus 10 seconds . Prior to changing to valve about 4 minutes or less depending on circumstances.

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

Thanks Larry. If 3 minutes were the average cycle time for the compressor, Chester's pump would be coming on every 30 minutes after the 3 minutes that the pump was running. That would be more frequent than the 45 minutes that Newell assumes is minimum reasonable duration between cycles.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I connected an external compressor to my coach in early December which provides 80# pressure. I have the coach in travel mode which seemed to work OK until recently. After returning from a five day trip on Dec. 27th, all of the air bags were empty and the coach down, but the dash gauges were normal. I ran the engine and it returned to travel mode. Two days later the coach is listing to the curb side with low air bags. The twin tank gauge shows 115# for each tank, and the gauge for the smaller tank shows 68#. Am I doing something incorrectly, and if not, where should I start looking for a problem?

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey

Chester, if the ignition is off. The travel solenoids are not energized. Therefore any system pressure will not reach the airbags.

It sounds like you have developed a leak on the airbag side of the sixpack manifold.

Have you made the isolator valve setup for diagnosing air leaks?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

This thread inspired me to do something that had been on my list for quite some time. I installed an hour meter on my auxiliary air compressor.
I live in my coach full time, so there is sliding door and toilet usage involved.
My auxiliary compressor takes 2 1/2 minutes to cycle from on to off.
So in that 25 days the compressor ran 3.8 times per day or 9.4 minutes per day.
I think those are good numbers and don't have to go look for any leaks! Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

russ, i think those are good numbers as well.

newell factory installed an hour meter on my compressor for some reason. btw, it had a little over 1000 hours on it. i did replace so i suspsect i will never have to again. i am assuming since mine was a race hospitality/office coach that all things air powered inside got quite a workout. especially the bode door. it doesnt tak very many cycles of the door to have the compressor drop 20psi.

once i get mine in the shop and i can monitor that i will do the same thing and see.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Richard, I was not aware that the ignition had to be on for the air bags to fill in travel mode. Yes, I have the isolator valve and in the nest few days I will search the forum for instructions on how to use it. If the six pack is leaking then it must have started leaking only in the last week. Thanks for the info.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey

All of the solenoids are closed normally. The travel solenoids only open when the ignition is on, and the HWH is in travel of course.

I didn't necessarily implicate your six pack. If you install the isolator between the six pack and the air bags, you can figure out what is what. The isolator should have a gauge on both sides, and a ball valve in the middle.

Install said device. Air up the coach in travel mode with the valve open. Close the valve. Record gauge pressures on both sides.

Here is how to read the Quija board. If the coach stays up, the gauge on the air bag side stays put, and the gauge on the six pack side drops, then you have a six pack problem. If the coach sags, the air bag gauge drops, and the six pack gauge stays up, then you have a leak in the air bag, tanks, or connections to the tanks.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )