You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Following trucks while driving

I just wanted to post my experience in the recent long trip that may prevent the customization of the front of your coach.

I was 2 ft from a new front cap.

I have always assumed that following trucks in a high traffic situation was a pretty safe way to drive. I always gave myself plenty of stopping distance, but did think that our coaches and OTR trucks would stop in pretty much the same distances based on our weight.

Well, I was wrong. Trucks, even loaded trucks, can stop a LOT quicker than we can. I almost nailed a truck on I 85 when the truck locked it up to avoid a pileup in front of him/her. I was a good six coach lengths behind and we were traveling about 50 mph. I was on the brakes hard enough that I activated the antilock, and I had the pedal pressed to metal. I stopped two feet from the bumper.

I did a little research, and it really does come down to common sense. The truck has 10 brakes, and we have six with tag. I don't count the toad brakes.

The experience changed my coach driving habits. I don't follow trucks in traffic if I can avoid it. I can't see the brake lights ahead of them, and I know they can stop quicker than I.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

does make sense with us only having 4 Brakes! This also makes me glad that I have a Supplemental Braking System!

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

I like being able to see what's further ahead than just the back of a truck in front of us. Easier to read signs etc. also.

I agree.....I don't like driving behind trucks precisely because I cannot see what is going on in front of them. Wow, that 2 feet must have gotten your pulse rate up a little.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Thank you for sharing your experience Richard. I like to be able to see ahead of the vehicle in front of me..At times I'm on the brakes before they are. The other consideration is that if the truck in front hits something they may stop WAY quicker than we can! Under most conditions a truck with proper brakes can stop in an amazingly short distance.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

I just use my X-Ray vision to see through them, so trucks are never a problem, but I don't drive behind them for a different reason. I don't like rock chips or cracked windshields and have experienced lots of both and mostly from trucks. I drive too fast for most trucks to keep up anyway

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

Agreed! We just finished a 2000 mile road trip (NM, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL all the way to Key West) and encountered plenty of trucks. Another thing I don't like is all the road dirt they seem to kick up. Our coach has not been as dirty as it is and there was very little rain to rinse off the surface stuff so now it's bath time for bonzo. Safety is of course a much bigger issues and what id it, better to be safe than sorry. Hsppy Trails to you!

Gary and Susie
2005 47' Newell #729 4 slides DD 60 Allison 6 spd
2013 Ford F-150 3.5 crew cab, eco-boost twin turbo 4x4
2010 Ford Edge AWD
Black Labradoodle, "Dude"

http://nuevomexprimetime.blogspot.com
http://www.garyrgruber.blogspot.com

While we're on the safety issue I'll tell you about a good lesson I learned a few years ago and forgot. I pulled on the berm of I-10, (the reason to pull over can be numerous, but I just had to use the John and wasn't sure I could make it to a more appropriate area) When I returned to the drivers seat and got ready to pull back on the road, I checked my rearview mirror and saw a solid line of traffic, almost all of which were semi's, but quite a distance back I could see about 3 ft. of a oversized mobile home being towed to its new home, all 3 ft. being over the white line of berm. As I watched it come, I was certain I would be feeling the full impact. A trucker must have saved my day with his cb as I watched the driver of the tow vehicle swerve into the passing lane at the very last moment. He surely missed me by more than it looked like, but it wasn't a bunch. Thank heaven for the passing lane being open at that moment of very heavy traffic. I never stopped on the berm after that experience!

94 Newell #365, 2009 Smart, 2005 500SL, 2012 ML350, 1934 Ford Streetrod Golf Cart, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc. Car and Boat CrazyTongue

While at Newell a couple of weeks ago there was a coach getting a new front cap due to hitting a tractor trailer in the rear. It had major damage. That's a valuable story and one I sure learned from. Thank you Richard.

Doug and Melanie Matz
2015 45 Bunk Coach 1517
Toad Ford Flex

I'm glad that all of you understood. I didn't use the best title though. I don't make it a habit of following trucks, like Larry I usually the travel a little faster than them. What I should have said is "if you find yourself behind a truck please be aware that they can stop much more quickly than us"

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )