You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Reflections of My first motorhome cruise

Richard said: It's only fair since you queried the forum for their RV experiences, that you start a new thread and tell us about your recent trip and learnings.

My daughter found out that an old friend of mine from my food broker days has been RVing for years. I hadn’t talked to him in a number of years so I gave him a call. You know how it is with old friends, it was like we just saw each other yesterday!

Come to find out not only has he been RVing, he has a 45’ 2008 Newmar Essex #4508. We were visiting our daughter in Tampa and after telling him our plans for a motorhome he insisted I come down and have some fun.

I met him at his home in Venice and that is where the fun began. He and I set out in his coach for three days of what he called “TT” travel and training. We went over to the Boca Grand area where he acquainted me with everything from dealing with RV parks, hooking and unhooking, draining tanks, filling tanks, driving and things “to do & not to do” inside and outside the coach. After the “TT” came driving my first motorhome and what an experience.

Some observations...

• Don’t drive into what you’re not sure you can drive out of. I headed down a street of no return and had to back up some 50 yards. There was no toad to deal with but I found you can sure start sweating in an air conditioned coach? Smile I started to get up and turn the coach over to Bill when he says “you got us in here, you get us out”.

I’m thinking about all I’ve read over the past months and thought “ok, I can do this”! I told him to get out of the coach and stop anyone from turning down the street! I kept my eyes on the driver side mirror and my objective was to stay about 2 feet from the side of the road.

I new if I was 2 feet from the curb I couldn’t hit anything on the other side. I was fortunate because at the end of my 50 yard voyage was a large parking lot I was able to back into where I regain my faculties and got out of Dodge. I’ll bet there are some of you who understand how long that 50 yards can be. I’ll not forget it, that much I can tell you. But it sure felt good knowing what to do and doing it. I appreciated Bill’s faith in me but I sure had to stop and wipe my forehead a few times, yikes!

• Watch your mirrors and whats in front of you! Everything is new to me and I’m big eyeing around the dashboard trying to remember where Bill showed me this is and that is and guess what? A 45’ motorhome doesn’t respond like my SUV. I learned real quick to keep my hands on the wheel and pay attention to moving down the road.

• I’m happy to say that I found the overall experience about what I expected because of the help you guys have given me. I felt like I new what was coming so everything fit in much as I expected.

The one thing that really did get my attention was the pure thrill and excitement of driving the coach! Does that ever ware off? I can’t imagine getting behind the wheel without that feeling of the “thrill of it all”. Its exciting isn’t it? Its like piloting a rocket-ship... Ok, maybe without the rocket and the ship part...

The Essex is a very nice coach but Richard, you spoiled me! When you showed me your coach and took me on a drive you pointed out many things. Not the least of which was the ride and how quiet the Newell is! The Essex is a fine piece of automation and I understand why people speak so highly of them but you know, it ain’t a Newell. I know the Newell costs a lot more than a Newmar Essex. But when you consider that Richard’s & Rhonda’s coach is a 99 and this was an 08 WoW!

Our plan was to go up to Tampa and get my wife for a day but the rain was such that we decided against it. That was a shame because the one concern my wife has is “can a motorhome feel like a home”?

After the 1st of the year I’m going to take her to “Tom Johnson RV Center” just outside Asheville, NC. Its our closest dealer with a good selection of motorhomes and although they most likely will not have a Newell. They will have enough new and used coaches for her to find out “can a motorhome feel like a home”?

I look forward to your comments and questions...

Harry

Actually they have some from time to time.. You might get licky

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

Good going Harry.... Glad you've gotten your feet wet..

Jimmy

Hi Mark, I've not seen a Newell there as yet but I've only been paying attention the last couple months. It would be great to find one there.

Hey Jimmy, My plan was to rent a coach from LazyDays of Tampa but Bill made that unnecessary. I filled up his coach with diesel and had it cleaned inside and out. I felt I needed to do something for his kindness, I had such a great time and learned a bunch.

Harry

Harry, Thanks for sharing your experience. I had driven a 1997 25 ft class c with a 10 ft enclosed trailer for some 120,000 miles. Then in 2005 I purchased A 1976 mci 8 converted 40 ft coach in Houston Texas and drove it back to Kansas City Mo. Before I drove away from the previous owner I asked him for any wise words of wisdom. He just smiled and said I was in for a adventure.

March of 2013 I purchased a 1997 Newell corporate Coach from Tampa Fla. and brought it back to KC. Your story brought back memories. For me this
has remained constant.When you have run through your check list and you release that parking brake and start to back up you had best have your driving hat on straight and it has to stay that way until you set the parking brake again. I am still a novice as far as miles I have behind the wheel of
either my 40 ft MCI 8 or the 1997 45 ft Newell so I can only speak from that experience. Thanks for sharing Harry. Good to have you back on the blog.
Jerry

Thanks for sharing Harry. We've had our Newell for 4 years now. I still get that feeling of WOW even when I just sit in the drivers seat in the garage! Fran is always saying how she is amazed at my transformation when I get behind the wheel of the coach. Our goal has been to use it at least once a month. With the exception of her health issue last year & a couple of work issues on my part, we have pretty much been able to meet the goal. Even if it's just a short weekend getaway. From my perspective, yhe more you use your coach the more you will enjoy it. I am somewhat envious of the "full timers", but have to admit I am also glad we have the " bricks & sticks" home base. I guess it is close to having the best of both worlds. Best wishes to you & your wife in getting your dream coach soon.

This reminds me of my first Newell driving "test". I have always loved to drive...Pretty much anything (including emergency vehicles) over the years. We bought our first Newell , a 1978 35' Classic from a widow lady in Tennessee. She insisted on riding along on our test drive. After the deal was done she informed me that the previous week another "buyer" had taken the Newell out for a drive and didn't do as well. Her words were "He was going to kill someone" so she talked them out of buying it!!!

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Harry, your description of your first time is how I feel every time I get behind the wheel of our '82 Newell. Thank you for sharing!

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Thanks Jerry, It’s good to be back and I thank you for your reply. Your 97 is a beautiful coach but I’m curious, what a “corporate coach” is? A coach purchased by a corporation instead of an individual or a Newell corporate show coach? Am I wrong on both counts?

Hi CCJ, With your post and most all posts on the Guru, the one thing you hear loud and clear is “pride of ownership”! It has a pedigree, its a Newell and yah, thats something! You guys have spoiled me.

HoosierDaddy, that’s quite a story! If she thought "He was going to kill someone" that has got to be some kind of driver! I’ll admit when I first took the wheel I had more than a moments pause. I had no doubt I could drive the coach but I also new that I wasn’t in Kansas anymore. And thats really important because I was in Florida! Smile

Hi Clarke, I thought that had to be the feeling, especially when its yours! There is something special about the whole process and I thank you and everyone for sharing...

You’re the best, thanks guys.

Harry

Harry

Sounds like you had a blast. Tom Johnson is a Newell dealer and they were delivering coach 1508 when we were picking ours out last year. I hope you are able to see the full range of coaches there.

Doug and Melanie Matz
2015 45 Bunk Coach 1517
Toad Ford Flex