You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Before I buy , Do you have an xtra 2 sell ?

Larry, Gast model # is 3HBB-32-M300AX. The Grainger item # is 11X371. If you go with Grainger, they are good about drop shipping to your location. I would also recommend the extended warranty. The actual unit is more like the picture of the 1/2 horse unit. It has a cover on top of the motor. I think it is a capacitor but not absolutely sure. Mine is just kind of jammed on top of "squirrel cage" blower. Has some foam on a piece of plywood that sits on the metal mount plate. The compressor is bolted to the plywood, but the plywood is not bolted to anything. I got these numbers off of my old compressor.

Thanks Clint, I am looking into the Chinese knockoffs at Richards suggestion and like California Air Tools 3/4 hp MP75. They are on Amazon for $166. Whats' your opinion ?? Now that I have that number I am calling Grainger about the Gast to compare.

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

Might work out OK. I went with Gast on Mine because it was same model replacement. Just un-hook old & slide in new. Plug & play with no modifications.

Larry, I did the same thing as Clint.  Because Gast was already there and probably lasted for 13 years.  My model # is posted above Clint's post.  Good luck.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Thanks all for your suggestions and valuable info. I have decided to go the route of Chinese Thomas clone compressor.. The company is California Air Tools owned by Construction Concepts Int.... I bought the 1/2 HP with almost the same specs as the Thomas 2688TE I am replacing. The price got me as it was only $154 plus $12 for expedited shipping.. WOW... The Thomas is over $1000. Just hope it all goes together well....

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

larry, it should work fine.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I just read the latest copy of Fine Woodworking magazine. In the "Tools and materials" section was the description of "A truly quiet air compressor" that the author has been using for nailers. It is a 1hp Rolair JC10. If we were to use it for our coaches we would have to remove the compressor part from the assembly but that doesn't look too difficult from the picture. The listed price is $240. I don't know how long one of these would last in our use, but it's a thought.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

just an opinion, but i think we overvalue brand names sometimes. i know i have. if i needed to replace something i would always try to find what was the original and put it in. there was a reason our coaches were so expensive. newell used the best of the best. that is great and i get it and love it.

but, in things like the compressor, i find it hard to justify spending 2-5x the cost to get a brand name that has almost the same specs. in our case, so what if something has an expected life of 5k hours instead of 10k. we will never use it that much. for us, i think moisture is the main culprit and that will cause issues for any compressor etc. since most of ours are in compartments that are vented to the outside, they are subject to much more moisture than the same pump would be in a dental office or woodworkers shop.

the rolair looks to have almost the identical compressor that larry bought only a 1hp version with higher cfm (which you need for air nailers)

my guess is their is probably one chinese knockoff of the thomas that all these guys use and relabel.

my two cents worth.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH