You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Aircharge cooler for 60 series

Morning all:

I have a 2005 Newell that was plagued by air charge cooler that I came to find out in manufacturer in Europe and lead times for replacement are greater that 120 days. Since I used to endurance race SCCA and IMSA turbo cars I went and found a Texas based manufacturer who fabed a solid aluminum housing cooler of my design that I put in my coach when it was sitting at Newell for repair. The problem with the lateral installation on the side is the flex in the housing of the old style creating a torsional fatigue common to old style aircraft. If anyone is interested in a perment solution to the aircharge cooler let me know.

Murray Craig
360-920-8715

Murray Craig - VE7XQ Ham
Newell 2005 45ft #1736 DD60 Custom Aircharge cooler
Jeep 2014 Grand Cherokee - toad
07 Mercedes AMG 6.3 CLS
07 Mercedes SL550
01 BMW 2001 740i
ex (3) Bell Jetrangers 206 B3
ex Cessna Citation C500
ex '90 Nissan 300ZX Prototype factory Lemans IMSA sportscar

howdy,

i think most of us are interested in that. a number of us have had radiator or charge air cooler problems.

can you post on what you did and add pictures too?

thanks!

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

HI Tom

How can I update my profile to include details on my coach?

Murray

Murray, if you are logged in, below the photos at the top of the page, on the left side, you will see "User CP". Click on "User CP" then on the left side of the user control page you will see the Menu. The second black header is Your Profile. In that section "Change Signature" allows you to add information about your coach.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I am sure there will be much interest in this thread and the CAC on our Detroit engines.  But, I just want to chime in with an endorsement for what a great couple Murray and Mary Craig are.  Cynthia saw their older Newell in Seven Feathers and we chatted and met later in their Canadian home near Victoria.  They took a whole day to show us the city and treat us to a wonderful lunch at Empress Hotel.  Murray is quite the inventor and his ideas on the CAC will be very interesting.   Russ White

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Please elaborate on your ideas on the cause of CAC failures. I understand torsion, I just don't have a clear picture of how it might induced as you implied by the mounting.

Also we are very curious as to the design concepts you utilized to combat the torsion.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Hi Richard

Well haven raced cars at 24 hours at over 200 mph for years, you begin to see the signs of metal fatigue early. Given the Air charge cooler is 48 inches long and 6 inches thick there is a torsion stress when the motor moves in the backend of Newell engine compartment. Since I tried to repair the factory unit twice, and looking at the failure points and the amount of metal that was supporting the cooler portion it was easy to see there was torsional rotation of the cooler in its frame. I sent my pics and notes to an engineer friend at Audi lemans team and my new design and he agreed. It has been flawless.

Murray Craig - VE7XQ Ham
07 Mercedes AMG 6.3 CLS
07 Mercedes SL550
01 BMW 2001 740i
ex Cessna Citation C500

Hey Russ

Mary and I are in Lakeside working on filling orders for the Tigerstrikes for the Feds. This new Newell is fabulous, bought it from MOT and sent it to Newell for 120K in upgrades, it has the upgraded front end with the double wide tires, it is so much better that the old system. And of course radios every where in the coach, putting in a HF antenna that I designed for low profile hi reflectivity, worked great on the last Newell, nothing like chatting with Europeans while traveling the I5 in California. Drop Mary and I a line and let me know your travel plans

Murray Craig - VE7XQ Ham
07 Mercedes AMG 6.3 CLS
07 Mercedes SL550
01 BMW 2001 740i
ex Cessna Citation C500

What is the cost of your solution. Is it a new mount or a new radiator design?

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

Thanks Murray.

When you have a chance could you post a few pics?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )