You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

What does the steering wheel have to do with the steps

Since we parked yesterday, the step would open and close each time I would open and close the door. I know there is a switch on the entrance console, but it did not matter which position the switch was in. 

Well that was just plain weird. 

I just noticed that the DD Prodriver was still on. Hmmmmmm. If the step thought the ignition was still on it would act like it was acting. I put the key in and out several times, switched to on and off several times but the Prodriver was still on. Hmmmmmm, some more. Just for grins I turned the wheel until the lock caught it. Voila, Prodriver turns off, step behaves normally. 

So, something about the way this coach is wired, the steering wheel lock has to pop before it thinks you are really off. 

Go figure. 

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

That is weird. The electric circuit must have thought that the ignition was still on and triggered the ProDriver and the door. Souinds like time to take apart the steering column.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Turn the steering wheel is much easier

Rolleyes Ashley Pardue Coach 589

But not nearly as satisfying for Richard!!

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Steering column has been apart to check for play in the u joints. By the way, there was NONE and the coach has 180000 miles.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Richard,

I just had a similar situation...well maybe a little different. Check the door switch. Normally if the key is on, the steps should be in. But if you leave key on, and open door, the steps will go out. (Switch in normal position).

Here is where my story gets strange. I was driving, and in a particularly narrow part of road...with barriers on both sides, the steps decided to go out. It is a bonafide miracle that I did not rip the steps from the side of the coach.

The problem was that the door plunger switch had three states.... Out, In, and Out. So if the switch was all the way in, the steps went out. If the switch was all the way out, the steps went out. Only if the switch was partially pushed in would the steps go in. Putting a new switch in fixed the problem.

It could be that your messing with the wheel caused your plunger switch to act up. (just a thought).

Cheers,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Bill,

As I tried to recreate the problem, I discovered something unusual about the ignition switch. I can turn the ignition off and remove the key, but the lock mechanism does not "click" unless the steering wheel lock clunks into the steering column. I think the ignition is just worn. The way the design was intended would be that you could remove the key until the column locked.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Today my coach started doing what Richard's was reported doing. Only difference is that his worked as designed once the steering wheel lock clunks into the lock position, on mine the steps retract when the entrance door is almost closed regardless of the position of the selector switch beside the door. Also on mine, the step is actuated by a proximity switch that "closes" before the plunger switches are even close to being touched. Any insight you can give before I surrender and call the factory would be appreciated.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Jon I had replaced the steps with the newer model which actuates differently than the original steps.  The newer steps use the proximity switch.  I don't think the plunger switches are connected to the steps anymore.  You really should try and make the rally.  Lots of fun and great people.

While I was underneath the coach trying to bolt up the new steps a neighbor at the campground wandered over and started asking me questions about restaurants, etc.  After the 3rd or 4th loud grunt from me he realized that I was busy and couldn't answer his question....

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Forest: Thanks, that helps. I just found the wiring diagram and can now start (well, in the morning actually) troubleshooting.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed