You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Air leak in leveling system

If thee solenoid is continually exhausting from the port then unscrew the black ring and take the unit apart and clean any buildup around the interior spring and then rebuild. Takes only a few minutes. This may or may not be the fix. you made need to just replace it. These are all over the bus and are very easy peasy to replace. all the unit information is printed right on the plastic case. Most come from Spartan Scientific..

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

I bought a brass cut off from Lowes which I spliced into the air line. Mine was escaping from the exhaust also. But as Tom told me at the time, that might not be the problem. My problem was a very bad dump valve on the passenger side that had never been used. It caused air to bypass through the dump cylinder back out the exhaust port at the solenoid. This was my problem and yours might be entirely different.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

a few thoughts.

1st....it would help to know what it is supplying air to.

my experience is with the solenoids/manifolds that are NOT for the leveling system, that it is two things that cause the exhaust port to leak.

1. i can be a piece of gunk got stuck in one of the valves keeping it open. occassionally you can do what larry said and clean up what you can, but i have not had good luck with that. i had a leaky solenoid on the bode air door and replaced it. it still leaked. ended up i had gotten a bad solenoid and a second one fixed it. but that took me a while to troubleshoot.

2. what i have had happen several times is that when the exhaust port is hissing, then if the manifold was supplying air to any kind of a piston/ram (like our air doors and open and close cylinders for the sewer dump or the ram for an air powered generator slide or a air ram for the genny) is that the seal inside the piston/cylinder is bad. that causes the air that is on one side of the ram to leak by and come back out the exhaust port. i have had to rebuild the 2 sewer ones as well as the ram for my air slide on my basement freezer/fridge.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Thanks for all the input. If they power accessories then it seems that they are close to the bathroom and one lines splits into 2. I think they must power the doors.

David and Teresa Brown
1999 Coach 513

It looks like the ones that operate the step cover slide on my coach.

The location appears similar to the step cover solenoids on my 93 coach. One easy way to tell is to have someone move the control switch while holding your hand on the solenoids.

If these solenoids move power an air cylinder, which seems to me likely since there are two of them - one for open and one for close, then Tom's suggestion that it is a leaky cylinder seal makes most sense. But again and easy way to tell is to move the control switch to its opposite position and see if the leak continues.

The only possible connection between this leak and your leaning coach that I can conjure up is if, as Forrest stated, your compressor shuts down and this leak you've been describing causes your air pressure to drop quite low. Then if you also have a leak in the 6-pack solenoid that raises the side that's dropping so it allows the suspension air to leak back into supply system. It could also happen - oops this is a second possibility - if there is a slight leak in the suspension system which drops that side, you have the HWH set to automatically level, and your supply air pressure is depleted so that when the HWH tries to do its job it ends up dropping the level further by air running backward through the "raise" solenoid valve.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

do any of the 99's have step covers? i dont think the curved stairs ones do do they? i guess the striaght stairs could.

does this one have a stairs cover?

jon, is right, if the seal in the piston in the ram is bad, they almost always leak both ways.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I don't have step covers on my 99 and it does not have curved stairs.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

507 had straight stairs and a cover

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

486 had straight stairs and no cover.
Jon on your '93 I had an air leak on the solenoids for the bed lift. I ended up putting in a new cylinder and that stopped the leak. So Tom is correct in that instance.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337