You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Awnings!
Tongue 

Looking to help another Neweller with an Awning Purchase/Installation.
The 1st Question is what would have come as OEM on a 1995, I am guessing that it would be Zip Dee but what model? Manual??
Next I am wondering if I could beg a couple of pictures that would show mounting of the awning and brackets.

Now I am wondering about some of the other makes & models that others have used so that they can make an educated decision.

Thanks in advance!

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

They've got everything on the website.. Such as this.
http://awningsbyzipdee.com/2815/40001.html

Jimmy

Been there but thanks looking for 1st hand advice and pics! thanks anyway.

cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

Personal opinion is if there is any possibility of going carefree or girard I would do so over zip dee. In one of my older coaches I had an issue where on 3 separate occasions . 2 different awnings ballooned while driving down the interstate at full speed. All 3 times it was when a rather strong crosswind hit the coach. It happened when the awnings were locked down one time it broke the lock..

I am looking to add awnings to my stacker and won't do zip dee because of my previous experience.

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

Good food for thought, thanks!

I installed new main awning (zip dee) on our 84. It was straight forward. I just thought about, measured it a bunch of times and worried. Then I drilled holes and it worked like a charm.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Steve,

The 95 I had was equipped with zipdee for both windows and patio. The top was mounted just below but flush with the drip seam that joins the roof to the sides. It had two brackets, one for each end, that were affixed to the wall with stainless sheet metal screws. I know this because one of them pulled out and I had to replace it with an anchored screw. They did not appear to be lined up with any reinforcement. The awning was manual. I would recommend that you install a second safety catch, one at each end.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

there is a HUGE price difference between the manual zipdee and an electric girard. and the girard requires significant bracing, running electrical etc.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

(02-05-2015, 06:30 PM)encantotom Wrote:  there is a HUGE price difference between the manual zipdee and an electric girard.  and the girard requires significant bracing, running electrical etc.  

tom

I installed a zipdee manual 18' on my 89 for less 1K and installed a 24' Girard on my 96 for less than 10K. Likes both for what the money spent. Price and preference is what count. 

Ron

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

I believe that that there are cost restraints and Tom is correct! I talked to Girard today and $4,600 for the Awning + $835 for the Electronics and another few hundred $$ for shipping I am not sure that would fit into the budget.
Richard, do you have any pics? otherwise could someone post some pics of a '95 or so mounting? this could help with their decision.
Thanks in advance!