You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

water purifcation

Looking into a water purification 'system'. Probably a R/O w/UV treatment following. Primarily interested in drinking water & for the ice maker.

Has anyone done this as a add-on to a existing Coach, or have any knowledge in this area?

marc

marc & shari popejoy
western Oklahoma
1987 Newell #135

Marc

We went a little overboard on ours because of sometimes boondocking and/or getting water from camps with dubious well systems

For our bus we went to Applied Membranes and used one of there three stage units for the whole bus (thinking was that it cuts down on minerals clogging the lines)

Unit #  P325 A

We then went to a step further and put in a 6 stage system for the tap and drinking water with a UV

Unit # AAA 1006 P- UV

Last year we were at Hearthside in Michigan for about three months (lot of iron) 

System worked perfectly and no iron or minerals in bus lines, sinks, shower, or toilet bowl

What gallonage did you use to calculate the size for the R/O? Guess that's why I was only thinking of 'consumption' water - didn't want to oversize and have to deal with the larger storage tank.

marc & shari popejoy
western Oklahoma
1987 Newell #135

Since it was just for drinking/dishwasher and insta hot we assumed under 10 gallons a day and used a 3 gallon storage tank

With newer R/O systems note the GPM maxiums and that will determine your best storage tank size. Go too small and you run out of r/o water quickly. I have a 3 stage and 2 seperate pre sediment filters and one post for the frig and sink for instant drinking water and then a saltless/resin softener system with another pre filter at the water source.... My dog likes clean water ! Ha

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

What am I missing here. Just today I replaced my Everpure THM #1 & 2 filters which are exclusively for drinking water and ice and quite expensive. I had assumed this was good enough, but perhaps I need something better.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

We have been using a RO System for the Tap and Icemaker for 5 or so years now. I bought it from Interstate Water Systems, Yuma, AZ:
http://shop.interstatewater.com/5-STAGE-...qscsfapp05

I found a used Water Softener but after reading possible issues with these that use Salt I decided against it. I am interested in a Saltless System, could you post more on that Larry?

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

Here is the website.

http://www.stainlesswaterfilters.com    

I still use the 2 stage Everpure and all the sediment filters ($3-24) and r/o ($239) are at home depot  

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

I am interested in this as well. The coach we are looking at has an RO system installed in the wet bay (the one for washing hands with the faucet). Not sure what system exactly it is but will find out first thing this week when we get the coach. It looked like there were two permanent filter canisters (they look just like the replaceable canisters that I use now but are bright blue in color as I recall). I didn't see an accumulator/pressure tank anywhere but I'm sure it is hidden in there somewhere. Would this system also have a sediment canister with replaceable filters somewhere? We are using (in our current coach) two sediment filters with a 10 and 5 micron filter and that seems to get most everything out as far as heavy minerals. I'm still a newbie to this and really would like to be able to boondock eventually and use the water from the tank. Would an RO system be able to recycle the excess water back into the water tank?

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Adrian,

You wouldn't want to recycle the excess water back into the tank. It will raise the concentration of minerals in the water you are trying to use to feed the RO system. Kind of like opening the refrigerator to cool the inside of the coach.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )