You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

My first side of the road breakdown

After seeing Rhonda's post on Facebook and the attendant pictures I was waiting for the full flown, no detail spared write up and I have not been disappointed Richard.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

The HCV is the Height Control Valve that controls air pressure in the air bags of the suspension system in order to maintain a fixed ride height of the coach regardless of changes in load while the coach is moving. The valve body is solidly mounted to the frame rail and has a 12" or lever coming off it more or less horizontally in a fore-and aft orientation. Towards the end of the lever there is a connection to a vertical rod and the other of that rod is connected to the small bracket welded to the axle. If you add load to the coach it tends to depress the air bags so the frame rail moves the valve down slightly which causes the lever to tilt upwards which causes the valve to add air to the air bags until the lever is once more horizontal and the air shuts off. When the load in the coach is reduced the opposite happens.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Jon did a nice job explaining the HCV. The P in my case is actually a piece of rubber that looks like a P. In the past it may have been metal, but now is rubber.

Dean, the air line that rubbed runs just inside the wheel well flender flare. I do not know what is goes to. It has been spliced before, so me thinks this isn't the first time it's rubbed on the tire.

Yeah, I think bump stops between the axle and the frame would have prevented this. Installing them wouldn't be too hard. You would have to carefully measure to avoid losing leveling capability in the back.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Bill
HCV - is a height control valve, or it is sometimes called a Ride height control valve (RHCV). It s a valve that is usually attached to the frame of the motorhome, with a horizontal arm coming off of the valve assembly. there is a vertical rod that goes from the end of the horizontal arm, down to the axle where it is attached with a swivel and a bolt.
If the coach sits too low the rod pushes up, which causes the valve to direct air to the suspension air bags. when the horizontal arm is horizontal again, the air flow stops, It the ride height is too high, the arm is pulled down by the rod attached to the axle, and the valve vents excess air from the bags until the arm is horizontal.

I just replaced the three RHCV on my coach. I had a slow leak on the right rear one, that allowed the suspension to deflate in a couple hours.

I sounds like the attachment arrangement is a little different on your Newells than it is on mine.

Hope this helps.

Just saw Jon's post. I answered from he firs page.  Maybe mine will help a bit.

The RHCVs on mine have a metal heim type joint at each end, nothing rubber.

Peter Haggins
Courtenay BC
Canada
96 Wanderlodge 42' Mid Door

Glad you are ok, had a similar experience in 422 15 years ago. Mine happened as I was exiting i4 on to i95 north . My issue was the rubber grommet that held hcv rod to the fixed point. Dropped it on the rear tire. Yeah it smokes and stinks. Thought I was on fire too. Was able to fix mine temporarily with a zip tie

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

My 77 coach had a turnbuckle connection which was really strong, had lasted more than 200,000 miles, and was still in good shape. These stories are making me wonder if I should go that route on the 93 coach. It's a cheap solution if provides peace of mind. Geez Louise, something else to tinker with.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

I am going to suggest the airline feeds the seal for the bedroom slide out. At least in my case, it could have been easily turned off at the valve under the bed.
I had a very similar situation happen to me except on the passenger side. The coach body cut into the tire before I was able to get stopped. I was able to raise the coach by manipulating the connections to the solenoid valves and drive to a safe location to complete the repair.
I have wondered often since then why the physical stops with in the airbags do not prevent the body from contacting the wheels. Russ - typing on my iPhone is no fun.....

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Richard,
Terrific description of bad news/good news scenario. Glad you and Rhonda are safe and that it was not engine smoke, merely tires and line. Merely? If anyone can deal with it, you are indeed the right guy. Good luck on the rest of your journey, smooth sailing along the highways and byways.

Gary and Susie
2005 47' Newell #729 4 slides DD 60 Allison 6 spd
2013 Ford F-150 3.5 crew cab, eco-boost twin turbo 4x4
2010 Ford Edge AWD
Black Labradoodle, "Dude"

http://nuevomexprimetime.blogspot.com
http://www.garyrgruber.blogspot.com

Admire that confidence and talent in the heat of fire

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

Richard, I am very glad that it worked out for you and there was no fire or serious damage. I am, or was, under the impression that the air bags contain a solid rubber bumper on the inside that prevents them from collapsing completely. When all of the air is exhausted from the coach, I do not think the coach sits on the tires. I would sure like to know for sure, or perhaps this is a later model thing.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica