You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

6V92 Tachometer

Mt Tachometer has become erratic, it sticks at around 1600 RPM and won't go below 1100 RPM).

I read Clarke's post on this but didn't see any pics as to where his sender was;
http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=661

I am wanting to be sure what Tachometer I have so that I can order the correct one. I expect (from Clarke's post) that I have a Hall Effect type so that would make the Stewart Warner part #82619? instead of the version that uses the Alternator Tap.
I have the DD 6V92 and am looking for advice as to the location of the Generator (providing that there is one). A pic would be helpful.
thanks in advance

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

Steve the tach drive is closer to the curb side near the alternator, if the drive tang is still ok you can try and lube it. If it is broken there's a replacement upgrade for it.
Heres a thread from wog that should be helpful as well.
Hope this helps

Love old schoolHeart
1976 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd
1977 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd

Thanks Retro, just don't see it yet. I am thinking that the Tach is kaput after more looking.
PS opened the case and found #827970 on the face of the Tach, looks like someone sanded off the number on the rear of the case.

cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

Sorry Steve, forgot the link!
http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/fo...php?t=2653

Love old schoolHeart

The sender for my tachometer is on the radiator side of the engine above the water pump on the driver's side. Hard to get at....you have to have someone on the other side helping you get it unbolted. The big reason these fail is lack of lubrication.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Is there no curb side access? My 6v92 was an 83 but it was in a bluebird. The sender was just on the curb side of the alternator. If theres a access panel above the engine can you get at it from there?

Love old schoolHeart

Thanks Clarke, would you take a pic and either post it or email it to me.

PS found my problem, it was the Tachometer. The Indicator had come loose from the Armature;

I put it back in place and held it there temporarily with Super Glue;

Next I used a little J-B Weld and quite carefully tried to epoxy it best as I can for a "field repair". I expect that the calibration would be off but for now........................I have a tachometer that functions again. Tomorrow I will look into a replacement.

Clarke, really would be helpful to me and others to know where that Generator is on our Detroit Diesel Silver Series 6V92 engines.

the location of the tach generator on the 85 6V92 engine in the 77 coach I had was located as follows (directions according the coach orientation) It was located on the forward end of the blower just sort of inside of the passenger side rocker cover and just above the power steering pump.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

I thought I was pretty specific about where my sender is, but I will try once again.....It can be accessed from the driver's side access door to the engine,  but it is hard to reach as it is on the top of the 6V92TA between the turbo and the top of the radiator.  It is hard to see.    I will take a picture and post later.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com