You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

engine compartment insulation

hi all,

in looking at the pictures that todd has of his engine compartment with the engine removed, i could see that the insulation/thermal barrier was in tatters.

i talked to todd on the phone last nite about his adventures in getting his 8v92 rebuilt and i asked him about if he was going to replace the insulation while it was easy to get at. he said they were going to do that.

but....he also said that some of it had fallen down onto the top of the engine. it made me think that all of us need to make sure nothing is in direct contact with the turbo or other hot areas of our main engines. i was reading on the bluebird site this past week about how one of them had a fire while driving and it was because someone had improperly added insulation around the genny/aquahot exhaust going up through the roof and it fell against the exhaust pipe and caught fire. thankfully a friend was following them and noticed it and they were able to get it out before it burned the coach up.

in some coaches, the thermal barrier is a thermal canvas pad like cover that is sewn and mounted up there. in some it is like that for a sound barrier as well like was in my genny for the 1990 i have and my 02 has the same.

the engine compartments in the earlier coaches were the 1" thick sound/thermal/insulation pieces made of various layers of dense foam, foil, lead type material and such that has adhesive on the back. that deteriorates over the years and starts just falling apart.

it is available from newell parts, dupree products and a few other places and is quite expensive. 65 bucks for a 24"x54" sheet. plus shipping and it is heavy.

http://www.dupreeproducts.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=6

on my 90 i redid the entire engine compartment with a radiant barrier and glued multiple layers of it together myself and screwed it up with fender washers and wood screws. i talked to the manufacturer to make sure it would withstand the heat and it does. but it was a lot of work to do it this way but alot cheaper. tradeoff is time.

so, just a reminder to check it.

here are pictures of what i did on my 90. i know wally had redone parts of his coach as well.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

(09-22-2012, 09:17 AM)encantotom Wrote:  hi all,

in looking at the pictures that todd has of his engine compartment with the engine removed, i could see that the insulation/thermal barrier was in tatters.

i talked to todd on the phone last nite about his adventures in getting his 8v92 rebuilt and i asked him about if he was going to replace the insulation while it was easy to get at. he said they were going to do that.

but....he also said that some of it had fallen down onto the top of the engine. it made me think that all of us need to make sure nothing is in direct contact with the turbo or other hot areas of our main engines. i was reading on the bluebird site this past week about how one of them had a fire while driving and it was because someone had improperly added insulation around the genny/aquahot exhaust going up through the roof and it fell against the exhaust pipe and caught fire. thankfully a friend was following them and noticed it and they were able to get it out before it burned the coach up.

in some coaches, the thermal barrier is a thermal canvas pad like cover that is sewn and mounted up there. in some it is like that for a sound barrier as well like was in my genny for the 1990 i have and my 02 has the same.

the engine compartments in the earlier coaches were the 1" thick sound/thermal/insulation pieces made of various layers of dense foam, foil, lead type material and such that has adhesive on the back. that deteriorates over the years and starts just falling apart.

it is available from newell parts, dupree products and a few other places and is quite expensive. 65 bucks for a 24"x54" sheet. plus shipping and it is heavy.

http://www.dupreeproducts.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=6

on my 90 i redid the entire engine compartment with a radiant barrier and glued multiple layers of it together myself and screwed it up with fender washers and wood screws. i talked to the manufacturer to make sure it would withstand the heat and it does. but it was a lot of work to do it this way but alot cheaper. tradeoff is time.

so, just a reminder to check it.

here are pictures of what i did on my 90. i know wally had redone parts of his coach as well.

tom

Wow you could eat off of that engine bay. That is very cool Tom. I am going to talk to the guys right away Monday and make sure they get similar insulation to the link you provided or just order it myself. I would rather have a high quality material like that.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

todd,

actually, i didnt use that. i used an engine bay insulation that i then glued together and made a thicker piece.

money no object i would use the stuff i put in the link. that is what newell used originally.

i was too cheap so i made my own.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/heat-sound-insu...terid=u0j1

is what i used. i glued two sheets together to form a 1" thick piece. i used re-enforced foil tape like you buy at a HVAC supply store for ductwork to seal the seams. i used 3m automotive spray contact adhesive to glue them together.

there are lots of choices. jcwhitney has similar stuff to what i posted earlier as well. do a search of insulation at jcwhitney.

spaceageauto that i went to to look at rubber trim for you also sells the stuff i used.

the company name is Bonded Logic and they are local here in AZ and i talked to them about the heat properties of it.

tom

Tom, that fire was in the exhaust that from the engine exits thru the roof on the back of that M380. Someone had stuffed that area with insulation. The coach owner was lucky and got it out quickly.

Ernie Ekberg
Bluebird Wanderlodge

By the time I got a look at my engine bay Larry had removed all of the insulation that had not fallen. Obviously I would have the cover all of the overhead areas but how far down the side walls of he compartment do you go and how far forward? Try to get an idea of how many of those sheets we would need. They are 2'x2.5' so they cover a decent area.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

your engine compartment is likely different than mine was in my 90 since it is a different body style.

did you look at the alternatives that i put in the last post?

tom